Happy National Liqueur Day! Yes, I’ve discovered today is National Liqueur Day so in honor of this holiday I’m making some homemade Bailey’s Irish Cream. This makes a great holiday gift so be sure to save the recipe for later!
Last Christmas season my neighbor, Barb, delivered a jar of this very delicious, homemade Bailey’s Irish Cream. My husband is a huge Bailey’s fan, me not quite as much. But I have to say this is way, way better than the bottled stuff. I really enjoyed it! Barb was so nice to share her recipe with me and now I want to share it with you.
Unfortunately, now that I know what’s in it, I should probably stick to the motto “a little goes a long way” seeing that it’s not a very low cal drink! But, I’m sure that won’t stop me, it never does. My favorite way to use Bailey’s is to add a little to my coffee to replace the cream. It also makes a nice after dinner drink to sip on instead of dessert. And stay tuned…now that I have a jar of this made, I have a few dessert recipe ideas to try out!
Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 1 tsp. instant coffee granules
- 2 tsp. unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 3/4 C. heavy cream, divided
- 3/4 C. milk
- 1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Tbls. honey
- 1–1 1/2 C. Irish whiskey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix together instant coffee, cocoa powder and 2 Tbls. heavy cream until smooth.
- In a blender, combine the coffee/cocoa mixture, remaining heavy cream, milk, sweetened condensed milk, honey, whiskey, vanilla and almond extract. Blend on high for 20-30 seconds.
- Transfer to a container, seal tightly, refrigerate.
- For best flavor, let chill overnight to allow the flavors to meld together. Shake well before using.
- This should keep for up to 2 months in the refrigerator.