Hummm…what to do with leftover rice? That was my dilema. It was breakfast time, we were hungry. What my husband and I were really craving was a breakfast burrito from Roberto’s out in San Diego! Unfortunately, we live in Washington, DC at the moment so no Roberto’s for us this morning. Instead, I came up with this Baja Breakfast Rice. It’s my take on fried rice…but inspired by the Mexican flavors we love.
What’s a good starting point for a yummy breakfast? Bacon and eggs, of course! So I thought I’d make some sort of fried rice, but the thought of soy sauce and asian ingredients just didn’t sound so appetizing with bacon and eggs as the Mexican inspired flavors did. The ingredients I put in this breakfast fried rice was dictated by a clean out of the refrigerator. And let me tell you there wasn’t a lot of food in there to choose from. Not much cooking was done this week.
Besides eggs and bacon, I pulled everything else out of the refrigerator that needed to be used up. A couple green onions, some cilantro, queso fresco, baby kale, and some grape tomatoes. I had some avocado but it was just too far gone to include it. Bummer, that would have been really good with this! If you can, try adding some avocado as a garnish.
I diced up the bacon and cooked it up in a large fry pan. Drained just a little of the grease (you don’t have to if you don’t want to), then I tossed in the cold, leftover rice. Seasoned it with some cumin, Chipotle Cholula and stir fried it with the green onions until heated through. Added in some baby kale and cooked a bit more to wilt the kale. To serve, I just put some of the rice mixture on our plates and topped each plate with a fried egg, a couple grape tomato slices, some chopped cilantro and crumbled queso fresco. At this point you can add more Cholula if you want it spicier!
This Baja Breakfast Rice may not be the breakfast burrito we were craving, but it was a really great breakfast anyways. And a perfect way to use up leftover rice!
- 3 C. cold, leftover cooked rice
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 green onions, sliced
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chipotle flavored Cholula sauce (or other hot sauce)
- 1 C. baby kale (or spinach)
- handful of grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 Tbls. chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbls. crumbled queso fresco
- 3 eggs
- avocado slices, a couple per plate, for garnish
- Dice bacon and cook in large fry pan. Once cooked, drain a little bit of grease if you desire, then add cold rice. Stir to break up rice and coat with bacon grease. Add cumin, chipotle Cholula and green onions, and heat through. Add kale, stir and cook until it wilts.
- Fry the eggs.
- To serve, place rice mixture on plate. Top with a fried egg, a few tomato slices, a little cilantro and queso fresco, a few avocado slices. Season with more Cholula, if desired.
Post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but I’m Bored, Let’s Go will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!