It’s Wednesday…which means it’s Hump Day…which means it’s time for Hump Day Happy Hour! Today’s Martini Madness entry is a Basil Lime Martini. But first a few words about where I discovered this awesome cocktail.
Last summer I was in Newport, RI for the first time. What a fun little town! If you ever go there, be sure to do the cliff walk and check out all the mansions, and stroll along the harbor, and eat some lobster rolls, and… Oh there’s so much to do. It’s really quite beautiful.
Aside from trying to find the very best lobster roll and lobster mac ‘n cheese (and trust me, my friend Tracy and I tried a few!), Tracy introduced me to another Navy wife named Judy (right there I knew I would like her). But I really liked her even more when she served me a Basil Lime Martini. WOW was it delicious! Right up my martini alley. It packs a bit of a punch if you know what I mean, so be careful because they’re easy to drink! Lucky for me, Judy shared her recipe. I like to whip up a batch to have in my freezer during the summer for something different and yummy to serve to my friends on the spur of the moment get together. It’s like a grown up version of a slushy. Perfect for summer.
- 2 C. Water
- 2 C. Sugar
- 50 Basil leaves
- 1 750ml bottle good quality Vodka (or about 3¼ cups if measuring from a larger bottle)
- 1¼ C. fresh squeezed Lime juice
- In saucepan mix water and sugar. Bring to boil making sure sugar is dissolved. Turn off heat and add basil leaves to syrup and muddle. Set aside and let it cool.
- Meanwhile place freshly squeezed lime juice and Vodka in a freezable container.
- Strain syrup and add to lime/vodka mixture. Mix well and place in freezer. Ready to drink in several hours.