Picture this: Roasted butternut squash. Bacon. Blue Cheese. Caramelized Onions. All that good stuff layered on top of toasted ciabatta bread. This Butternut Squash, Bacon, Blue Cheese Pizza is a flavor party in your mouth!
I thought now that Fall has officially arrived (although it still is summer here in Florida) it’s probably time to start making some more hearty, comforting food! This Butternut Squash, Bacon, Blue Cheese Pizza is certainly more Fall-like to me than the ice cream and salads I’ve been making all summer.
I like to buy the pre-cut butternut squash from the grocery, it’s so much quicker and easier than trying to manhandle butternut squash. If you can’t find a package already cut up, just cut up a squash and dice it into small cubes. Toss the butternut squash with a little olive oil, salt & pepper and roast them in the oven for about 20 minutes. I cook the bacon in the oven while the squash is roasting but you could cook it in a separately skillet if desired. While all that’s cooking, sauté up some sliced onions until soft and golden brown. I used some crumbled blue cheese today, but if you’re not a blue cheese fan, just substitute it with extra mozzarella or parmesan…or even goat cheese!
I served this Butternut Squash, Bacon, Blue Cheese Pizza as an appetizer at happy hour over the weekend and it was a big hit. Just slice up the ciabatta into strips and you have yourself a yummy snack to impress your friends with.
- 1 container pre-cut butternut squash (or cut a squash into small cubes)
- 1 lg. onion, sliced
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves chopped
- 2 Tbls. butter
- 2 Tbls. olive oil, divided
- 6 strips thick cut bacon, diced
- ½ C. crumbled blue cheese
- 1 C. shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ C. coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Toss butternut squash cubes with 1 tbls. olive oil, salt & pepper and spread evenly on baking sheet. Roast about 15- 20 minutes(depending on size of cubes), until soft and golden. Set aside.
- Place bacon on separate baking sheet and cook in oven while squash is cooking. Flip bacon halfway through cooking. Remove bacon from oven, drain on paper towel, dice and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat butter and 1 tbls. olive oil. Add sliced onions and rosemary. Gently sauté onions until soft and caramelized. Set aside.
- Slice ciabatta rolls in half lengthwise. lightly brush with olive oil and toast in oven to crisp them up a bit. Remove from oven. Top ciabatta with mozzarella, roasted butternut squash, onions and bacon. Sprinkle crumbled blue cheese and walnuts on top. Return to oven briefly to heat up pizza and melt the cheese.
- Garnish with some chopped fresh rosemary, if desired, slice and serve.