Thought I’d try something a little different for Day 11 of 12 Days of Christmas Cocktails. These Candy Cane Martini Jello Shots will be the life of your party (or bring your party to life?) and a fun way to get a bit of a candy cane martini taste without sipping on an entire cocktail. I bet the men would prefer this!
Originally I thought about doing a regular Candy Cane Martini but it just seemed too similar to my awesome Peppermint Bark Martini from Day 6. I was looking for something different from regular ol’ vodka, peppermint schnapps and cream de cocoa which seems to be in everyone’s Candy Cane martinis. Then I saw a recipe for Candy Cane Martini jelly shots from Tablespoon.com which looked pretty so I thought that would be fun to try. Making these makes me feel like I’m back in college!
I changed up the recipe a bit since I had already made an infused vodka with some candy canes. No need for peppermint schnapps in this recipe! To infuse the vodka, I put some vanilla vodka in a jar with 5 mini candy canes. After about an hour or so the candy canes had dissolved. I had the jar of infused vodka sitting around for a few days trying to decide what to do with it before I made these. I’m guessing you could use the vodka once it’s been completely infused.
Instead of using little plastic cups to pour the mixture into I used my mini muffin pan. When I went to take them out I set them in a very shallow sink of hot water for a few seconds to loosen them up, then inverted the jello shots upside-down on another cookie sheet. I put them back in the refrigerator until ready to serve (which for me was taking a few pictures) and just before shooting I sprinkled some crushed candy canes on top. You can see that the candy canes start to melt and bleed into the jello shots so I’d recommend if you want to sprinkle some on top to wait until right before serving them. Also, be sure not to let them sit in hot water for more than a few seconds or they’ll start to melt…if that happens, just rush them back to the refrigerator. They’ll be fine!
So grab a few of your extra candy canes and plop them in a jar with some vodka so you can enjoy these Candy Cane Martini Jello Shots at your next party…New Year’s Eve maybe?
- ¾ C. candy cane infused vanilla vodka
- 4 Tbls. Godiva white chocolate liqueur (could use white cream de cacao)
- ⅔ C. water
- 2 envelopes plain gelatin
- ⅓ C. sweetened condensed milk
- 2 C. vanilla vodka*
- 5 mini candy canes
- Put water in small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin over top. Give a quick stir and let it soak for about a minute.
- Turn on heat to low and stir constantly until gelatin is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vodka and chocolate liqueur.
- Pour into molds or large pan and let chill several hours to set up.
- To remove from molds, set in warm water for a few seconds to loosen them from mold and invert onto tray. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.