Now that everyone is sheltering in place with Covid-19 it’s a great time to whip up a batch of these Cheddar Chile Buttermilk Drop Biscuits. Simple to make biscuits with a nice bit of mild green chiles and cheese! Slather with some butter and honey and enjoy!
Cheddar Chile Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
- Yield: 10-12 biscuits 1x
- 2 C. flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 C. cold buttermilk
- 8 Tbls. (1 stick) butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1–2 Tbls. butter, melted to brush on top when baked
- 1 sm. can diced green chiles (drained)
- 1 C. shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment or use a silpat liner.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In separate bowl (or larger measuring cup) combine chilled buttermilk and melted butter, stir to combine. The butter will harden and form small clumps.
- Combine buttermilk/butter mixture, green chiles and cheese with the dry ingredients. Stir to combine but do not over mix.
- Scoop out mounds of dough (about 1/4 to 1/3 cup size) and drop onto prepared baking sheet about an inch apart. Bake 12-14 minutes, until tops are golden and crisp. Remove biscuits from oven and brush tops with additional melted butter.
If you don’t have any buttermilk pour regular milk into cup and add a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to it. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes to allow the milk to thicken before use.