I know you may be saying to yourself…Judy do we really need ANOTHER Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks recipe floating around cyberspace? I agree, they’re everywhere, but yes we do because this time I served them up with a Mexican twist. Perfect to satisfy that nacho craving you may be having without all the dreaded carbs! Well, maybe not quite like nachos because nothing can replace good ol’ tortilla chips, but here’s a tasty snack just as well.
If you search the internet for cheesy cauliflower breadstick recipes, you’ll find they’re all very similar. Finely chopped cauliflower, eggs, cheese, and some seasonings. It’s just the number of eggs and amount of cheese that seems to differ. Then there’s the question if it’s better to squeeze the water out of the cauliflower or not – YES it is. I’ve even seen a recipe or two that have almond flour added. I’m sure they’re all very good!
Today, I’m just going to tell you how I make these incredible Mexican cheesy cauliflower breadsticks. And, I may (or may not) admit to being able to eat nearly all of them in one sitting for dinner each time I make them.
I chop up one head of cauliflower in my food processor which produces about 5 cups of grated cauliflower. Then I microwave it in a bowl covered with a plate for about 6-8 minutes. Let it cool a bit, wrap it up in a thin kitchen towel and squeeze out the water. I usually get about a cup of water from it! It’s important to get as much water out as you possibly can. After that, I just mix in some eggs, cheese and seasonings, spread it in a pan, about a half inch thick, and bake it in the oven. When it’s done, I add more cheese and pop it back in the oven to melt the cheese. Slice it up, crumble a little queso fresco on top and serve with guacamole, sour cream and pico de gallo or whatever I happen to have on hand.
Now, doesn’t that sound awesome and worthy of adding to cyberspace? It’s one very satisfying cheesy cauliflower breadstick recipe, perfect for anyone trying to cut down on carbs and eat more vegetables!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 small eggs (if you have jumbo eggs, just need 1)
- 2 C. grated cheese (I used part mozzarella and part sharp cheddar)
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. chipotle chile powder
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- pinch of salt & pepper
- Top with your choice of guacamole, sour cream, salsa, crumbled queso fresco, chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Remove core from cauliflower and cut up florets into smaller pieces. Add to food processor and finely chop cauliflower. Place in microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave, covered, on high for about 6-8 minutes.
- Set aside and let it cool a bit, then dump cauliflower onto a kitchen towel or cheese cloth and squeeze out excess water (you'll get a lot of water, keep squeezing), return cauliflower to bowl.
- Add eggs, 1½ C. cheese and seasonings and mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread cauliflower mixture on baking sheet and shape into a rectangle, about an ½-1 inch thick.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add remaining ½ cup cheese* on top and return to oven until cheese is melted and bubbly good!
- Let it rest for a few minutes, then slice into breadstick shape sticks.
- Top with some prepared guacamole, sour cream, salsa, crumbled queso fresco and chopped cilantro as desired.
- *use more if you love cheese as much as I do!