Here’s an incredible Chicken Shawarma Salad that combines a few of my favorite Middle Eastern flavors – shawarma, hummus and tabbouleh, with a fantastic garlic lemon white sauce and pita chips for a little crunch.
I’ve made this chicken shawarma a few times now. You might have seen it on my recent post about what I eat when I’m not cooking for the blog. I love the spice marinade on this chicken but wasn’t nearly as happy with the garlic sauce I made. It was just not quite right. Then I came across this recipe for a garlic sauce so I gave it a try instead. Man o man was it GOOD! Never going back to my old concoction for this dish again! So garlicky and lemony all whipped up in a thick, creamy sauce.
If you plan on doing a little smooching, you might want to make sure everyone has some garlic lemon white sauce! 😉
I recommend using chicken thighs for this chicken shawarma salad. They just taste so much better and never seem to dry out on the grill. Always juicy! Of course, you could just wrap everything up in a big pita or naan bread like my husband does, but then it wouldn’t technically be a salad. You pick, it’s all good!
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (you could use breasts if you prefer)
- 1 Tbls. cumin
- 1 Tbls. coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbls. lemon juice
- 3 Tbls. olive oil
- 1 C. light flavored olive oil or vegetable oil
- ⅓ C. lemon juice
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. salt
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- Hummus (homemade or store bought)
- Tabbouleh (I used Near East - a boxed mix, follow directions on box)
- Pita chips
- Combine Shawarma spice marinade ingredients in bowl. Whisk to combine. Add chicken and toss around to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight (longer is better).
- In blender, combine garlic lemon white sauce ingredients and blend until thick and creamy, almost like a thin mayonnaise. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Grill chicken, about 5 minutes each side. Remove from grill. Let sit a bit, then slice chicken into strips.
- Assemble salad: Either on one large platter or individual bowls, arrange lettuce, tabbouleh, hummus and chicken strips. Top with some garlic lemon white sauce and serve with pita chips.
Let me know if you make a Chicken Shawarma Salad. Take a pic and tag me @imboredletsgo on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos!