Here’s a Curried Carrot Sweet Potato Soup that’s full of flavor and couldn’t be simpler to make!
Last February when we were getting ready to move and trying to eat up everything fresh in the kitchen, I had some carrots, half a large sweet potato and half an onion hanging out in the fridge. I was just gonna roast them up until I discovered some leftover frozen coconut milk in the freezer. Ah ha! Soup! I really had no intention of writing up a post about it and sharing on the blog. That is, until I tasted it. Oh my was it delicious! So now that I’m all settled here in Fort Lauderdale I wanted to make it again. It’s weird, with it so warm here in Florida I feel like I should be making a cold soup, like gazpacho or something, not a hot one. Oh well, maybe I’ll try some kind of a cold carrot soup next time.
This Curried Carrot Sweet Potato Soup is of the Thai curry persuasion, not an Indian curry version (although I think those flavors would be awesome as well). The soup gets its curry flavor from Thai red curry paste. It’s similar to the Coconut Curry Cauliflower Soup I made not too long ago that I loved, only with red curry paste instead of yellow curry paste. I suggest starting with one tablespoon of curry paste if you are a bit spice shy, then at the end taste and add more if needed. For me, two tablespoons to start is good!
Basically, you just toss the carrots, sweet potato and onion in a pot and sauté till they start to soften, add some curry paste, then add some broth (I used chicken but you could use veggie if you want), some coconut milk and let it simmer until veggies are completely soft. Then blend it all together. The first time I made it I added a little coconut sugar, the second time I didn’t so you decide. If you think it needs a little more sweetness to balance out the spicy curry, add it. If not, leave it out.
Finally, I topped my Curried Carrot Sweet Potato Soup with some chopped Thai basil. I really like the slight anise flavor of Thai basil. However, I suppose you could use regular basil. And if you want a little more kick, add a few drops of Sriracha or chili oil. And don’t forget the all important squeeze of fresh lime juice. It really is necessary!Print
Curried Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 sm. onion, diced
- 1 sm. sweet potato, peeled, diced
- 2 Tbls. coconut oil
- 1–2 Tbls. Thai red curry paste (start with 1 tbls. if you don’t like too much spice)
- 4 C. broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 Lime, juiced and zested
- 1 Tbls. coconut sugar (opt., if needed)
- Garnish: Thai basil
- In soup pot, melt coconut oil. Add carrots, onion and sweet potato (and a few shakes of salt & pepper). Saute until veggies start to soften up.
- Stir in red curry paste.
- Add broth and coconut milk.
- Simmer about 10-15 minutes until veggies are completely soft and the flavors have combined.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or let cool a bit and blend in batches in blender.
- Finish soup with fresh lime juice and zest.
- Garnish, if desired, with with some chopped Thai Basil. If you want it spicier, add a few drops of Sriracha, chili oil, or sprinkle with some red pepper flakes.
The first time I made this I added a little bit of coconut sugar because I thought it needed it, the second time I didn’t need it, so just taste and add it if you want to.