I made these Double Berry Muffins with Raspberry Glaze a few weeks ago as a delicious Sunday morning treat, and a way to use up some leftover buttermilk I had bought earlier for the Apple Butter Spice Cake.
These muffins were so tasty I swear I could have eaten several if no one was looking! I had a few random bags of frozen raspberries and sliced strawberries in the freezer so I used them for the berries. Instead of putting the extra raspberries I didn’t use back in the freezer I tossed them in a small saucepan with a bit of sugar and made a syrup. Then I mixed the syrup with some powder sugar to make a glaze to top the muffins with. DELICIOUS!
Double Berry Muffins with Raspberry Glaze
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- 2 1/2 C. flour
- 3/4 C. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- zest from one orange
- 1/8 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 C. buttermilk
- 1/2 C. oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups berries (you may use frozen, no need to defrost)
- 1 C. frozen raspberries
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 1 C. powder sugar
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease muffin pan or line with paper muffin cups.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, zest.
- In separate bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Combine buttermilk mixture with the dry ingredients and stir just to combine. Gently stir in berries.
- Fill prepared muffin cups and bake about 18-20 minutes, until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed. Remove from oven, let cool and drizzle raspberry glaze over top.
For the Glaze:
- Combine frozen raspberries in small saucepan with about 1/4 c. granulated sugar and cook over medium heat until raspberries defrost and get soft and mushy. If necessary, you can add a little bit of water (I didn’t need to). Smash berries to make a syrup. Set aside and let cool. In small bowl, combine powder sugar with enough raspberry syrup/puree to make glaze consistency. Whisk well and drizzle over muffins.
*Recipe slightly adapted from from Joy of Baking