Looking for a really quick, really tasty recipe to use up all the wonderful summer tomatoes, basil and abundance of zucchini that will be here soon? Well here’s another one of my favorite recipes for you to tuck away. This no cook Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce with Zucchini “Noodles” is so easy and absolutely fantastic. I’m showing it here with zucchini noodles “zoodles” instead of pasta, but it’s also a perfect sauce to top your favorite pasta with for those who want the real thing.
Now, I know I said this sauce is a no-cook sauce which is great for hot summer days. But personally I like to put it all in a saucepan and simmer it a bit to heat it up before putting it on top of pasta, or in this case, zucchini. Barely cooked is exactly how I like it! Just toss the diced up tomatoes (the size of dice is up to you), basil, garlic and olive oil in a sauce pan and let it simmer while briefly sautéing the zucchini noodles. No worries if you don’t want to heat it up and dirty another pan, it’s fine either way, I just like mine hot! If you prefer a sauce that’s not too wet, then be sure to seed the tomatoes first. If you don’t get rid of the seedy pulp the sauce will be watery like the picture above. I happen to like it that way so I can slurp up the sauce from the bowl when I’m done (or dip some bread in it). Yes, I do that!!! This is just one flavor combination I cannot resist! Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce also makes a fantastic topping for bruschetta. But for sure I’d drain it a bit before putting it on top of crusty bread.
Are you wondering how to easily get those long noodle-like strands of zucchini? I use a spiral slicer (Spiralizer). It’s great for lots of different veggies too. You can also use a mandolin slicer, or try to cut them by hand. I have both a spiral slicer and mandolin slicer. Yes, I like kitchen gadgets!
YUMMY! It doesn’t get much better than this. And super simple too!
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ C. olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh shaved parmesan cheese
- 1-2 zucchini, spiralized or cut in long strands
- 1 box spaghetti or linguini pasta
- Dice tomatoes and put in bowl. Add the basil, garlic, olive oil and salt & pepper to taste. If you prefer, you may put ingredients in a saucepan and gently heat for a few minutes just to warm, not necessarily to cook.
- If using zucchini instead of pasta, spiralize with a Spiralizer or slice zucchini in strands like pasta (a mandoline makes this work easy). Saute in skillet with a little bit of olive oil just to soften the zucchini, about one minute.
- Put zucchini "noodles" in large serving bowl and top with sauce. Shave or grate fresh parmesan cheese on top.
- If using pasta, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain but do not rinse. Put pasta in large serving bowl. Add tomato mixture and toss a little to combine. Shave or grate fresh parmesan cheese on top.
Post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but this blog will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!