Ginger Miso Slaw with Edamame, Rice Noodles & Shrimp is a wonderful cabbage slaw salad loaded with goodies like edamame, carrots, bell peppers, rice noodles and topped off with grilled shrimp. The dressing is a little spicy and full of fantastic ginger miso flavor.
I recently made a simple, but oh so delicious ginger miso slaw. I loved it so much I wanted to expand on it for a main course meal. This time around I added edamame, cold rice noodles and grilled shrimp! Don’t like shrimp? Try some chicken! Or leave it out and keep it vegetarian.
The ginger miso dressing is pretty much like all the other ginger miso dressings you’ve probably seen around town. Ginger, miso paste, rice vinegar, etc. I wanted to make it a little spicy so I added some garlic chile paste. You could use Sriracha if you wanted instead…or leave it out if you don’t like spice.
Just because it’s September and everyone wants to start cooking fall comfort food (or everything pumpkin) doesn’t mean you shouldn’t eat salads anymore! Hurry up and make this Miso Ginger Slaw with Edamame, Rice Noodles & Shrimp. You’re gonna love it!Print
Ginger Miso Slaw with Edamame, Rice Noodles & Shrimp
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 C. matchstick sliced carrots
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 C. cooked edamame (prepare according to package directions)
- 2 Tbls. sesame seeds
- 1/2 C. sliced almonds (or use peanuts if you want)
- 2 Tbls. each chopped mint and cilantro (optional)
- 1 C. cooked rice noodles (prepared according to package directions)
- 1 lb. shrimp, cleaned, shells removed (I left the tail for a “handle”)
- Drizzle of oil (about a tbls. – I used some vegetable oil and some sesame oil)
- salt & pepper, just a few shakes
For the dressing:
- 2 Tbls. white miso paste
- 2 Tbls. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbls. Shoyu soy sauce
- 1 Tbls. honey (or sugar)
- 1 Tbls. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. ginger paste (or fresh grated ginger)
- 2 tsp. mirin
- 1–2 tsp. garlic chili paste (or try Sriracha)
- In small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. Whisk well to combine, then set aside. (If you like a heavier dressed slaw/salad you might want to double ingredients to make sure you have enough)
- In large bowl, combine cabbage, green onions, carrots, bell pepper, and edamame, sesame seeds, nuts and herbs (if using). Toss well to combine.
- Add noodles to bowl with dressing and toss well (this helps them from sticking together). Then add noodles to slaw/salad and toss to combine well. I think clean hands work best for this task since the noodles are long and tend to easily clump together. Set aside in refrigerator while preparing the shrimp.
- Lightly toss shrimp with oil, salt & pepper, then grill on grill or grill pan (or you can roast them in the oven) until pink and slightly firm. This only takes a few minutes…don’t overcook the shrimp or they’ll get rubbery.
- Top each serving with some shrimp and enjoy!