This Greek Chopped Salad is sort of a cross between two salads that have already appeared here on the blog, my Tomato Cucumber Feta Salad and my Greek Inspired Leftover Salad. While each recipe share some of the ingredients, this time around I made a delicious greek vinaigrette and used my favorite ingredients from each salad into one big bowl of goodness!
This salad is delicious served by itself as a salad (or side dish) or sitting on top a bed of crispy, chopped romaine lettuce, whichever you’re in the mood for. I like to toss the lettuce and all the chopped veggies together. However, I would only do that just prior to serving so the lettuce doesn’t get all wilted and soggy. Plus it makes a lot so it’s best to just toss what you’ll be eating at the time.
The ingredient amounts for this Greek chopped salad are flexible. Add more or less of each as you prefer. Like more olives? Add more! Don’t like red onion? Don’t add it…or swap it out for some scallions or shallots. See, it’s really flexible. For me, it has to have the feta cheese!
I made a simple vinaigrette for this salad instead of using a bottled dressing. Typically when I make a vinaigrette I use a ratio of 2:1 oil to vinegar. Then I like to add a little citrus like lemon, lime or orange, etc. Adding a little sweetener like honey or some mustard helps to emulsify the mixture. Finally, some fresh or dried herbs, garlic or whatever else you want to add for the flavor profile you’re going for. And don’t forget the salt and freshly ground black pepper!
This Greek Chopped Salad is so tasty, plus it’s a great dish to take to a pot luck (it holds up well if you don’t include the lettuce) or just enjoy it for a healthy vegetarian lunch or dinner.
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained (I used half of a big jar from Costco)
- 1 jar hearts of palm, sliced (I used half of a big jar from Costco)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half (I used red and orange)
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 20 Kalamata olives, sliced in half
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 oz, block feta cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped (Optional)
- ¼ C. red wine vinegar
- ½ C. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ tsp. dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Make the Vinaigrette: In small bowl, combine vinaigrette ingredients and whisk until well combined, or add them all to a jar with a lid and shake well to combine. Set aside in refrigerator while making the salad.
- Make the Salad: Combine all the salad ingredients, except lettuce, in large bowl. Add Vinaigrette and stir to combine. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve: Either serve the salad as is in individual bowls, or add chopped lettuce to bowl and top with salad.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary or oregano) for garnish, if desired.
Like this recipe? Pin it for later: