These crisp, fresh Greek Green Beans are tossed with a greek vinaigrette and finished with sliced kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, pine nuts and fresh dill. Equally delicious served cold or room temperature.
I thought after posting (and eating) that amazing Patty Melt (with bacon & caramelized onions!) that it might be a good idea to share a lighter, fresher dish today. Especially since I have some incredible oatmeal pumpkin ice cream sandwiches coming up next (stay tuned)!
For today’s greek green beans, simply blanch the green beans in boiling water then submerge in an ice bath to stop the cooking. Then toss with the greek vinaigrette, olives and sun dried tomatoes. I let it sit for about an hour in the refrigerator to “marinate” a little, but you could certainly serve them right away. Just prior to serving toss with some crumbled feta cheese, toasted pine nuts and fresh chopped dill. I even tossed in a little diced red onion at the last minute.
I like to make vinaigrette from scratch since I typically have everything in the house already. And the dressing for these greek green beans is no exception. It’s a basic vinaigrette with oregano and dijon, so simple! But, if you’d like to use a bottled dressing, go right ahead.
These Greek Green Beans are perfect for a light and healthy meal or compliment any of your favorite grilled chicken or fish, heck even steak too!
- 1 lb. green beans, trimmed if needed (I used the thin French green beans from Costco)
- ¼ C. sliced kalamata olives
- ¼ C. sliced sun dried tomatoes (I used oil packed)
- ¼ C. crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ C. toasted pine nuts
- 1-2 Tbls. small diced red onion
- handful of fresh dill, roughly chopped
- ¼ C. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 lg. garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dijon mustard
- ½ C. olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Make the vinaigrette: In small bowl, combine dressing ingredients, except olive oil and whisk to combine. Slowly add olive oil while continuing to whisk until vinaigrette is emulsified. Adjust seasonings as necessary and set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with some water and ice and set aside.
- Bring large pot of water to boil, add green beans and blanch a couple minutes until beans are bright green. If you want your beans more cooked and less crisp, just cook them a little longer until they're the texture you prefer. Drain, then add beans to bowl with ice water to stop the cooking. Once cooled, drain beans and return to bowl.
- Add vinaigrette to the beans along with olives and sun dried tomatoes. Set in refrigerator for about an hour to chill. You could continue and eat them without chilling if desired.
- To serve, toss green beans with feta cheese, pine nuts, red onion and dill. Or you can lay the beans on a platter and top the beans with the cheese, pine nuts, onion and dill.