I rarely buy fresh pineapple. Not really sure why because I love it. But I’ve recently created a couple great recipes with fresh pineapple, like Grilled Salmon with Pineapple Jalapeno Salsa, and this Grilled Pineapple with Ice Cream, Rum Sauce and Toasted Coconut dessert I’m sharing with you today.
Have you ever grilled fruit? It’s delicious! I like to grill peaches and plums and this was the first time I tried grilling pineapple. For this dessert, I first made a simple rum sauce with some rum, brown sugar, vanilla and butter. Then I let the pineapple slices sit in it for a bit before grilling them. When you’re ready for dessert, put the slices of pineapple on the grill for a few minutes on each side to get some nice grill marks and heat it up a bit. To serve, I put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, drizzled some more rum sauce and topped with toasted coconut.
I enjoyed this best when the pineapple was still a bit warm, but you can grill the pineapple earlier if you wish and serve it when you’re ready for dessert. My friend Tracy suggested on my FB fan page to make something with toasted coconut so here you go Tracy, this Grilled Pineapple with Ice Cream, Rum Sauce and Toasted Coconut is for you!
If you have any great recipes with pineapple, let me know and I’ll make it. I’m on a pineapple kick lately.
- 1 pineapple, trimmed, cored and sliced in rings
- Vanilla ice cream
- ½ C. sweetened coconut, toasted
- Maraschino cherries for garnish
- For the Sauce:
- ½ C. spiced rum
- ½ C. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbls. butter
- Prepare pineapple:
- Spread coconut on baking sheet and toast in 350 degree oven until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Prepare rum sauce:
- In small saucepan, bring rum and brown sugar to boil, then reduce heat and simmer to reduce. Add vanilla and butter. Let cool.
- Brush pineapple slices with rum sauce. Grill to heat and obtain nice looking grill marks. To serve, place one pineapple slice on plate. Top with scoop of vanilla ice cream, drizzle rum sauce over ice cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Top with a cherry, if desired.