Do you like big breakfasts or breakfast for dinner? This Huevos Rancheros recipe fits the bill for either breakfast, brunch or dinner. Heck, it’s even good for lunch…go ahead, eat it anytime!
I typically don’t eat a big breakfast unless it’s brunch, preferably with Bloody Marys involved. But when I do, I tend to gravitate to something with a Mexican flair whether it’s breakfast burritos or Huevos Rancheros. Maybe it’s my SoCal upbringing. So close to so much good Mexican food!
Huevos Rancheros – ranch style eggs, is basically a fried egg on top of a tortilla with a spicy tomato sauce. What’s not to like about that? I also like to add refried beans to my Heuvos Rancheros, which isn’t traditional. It’s extra yummy that way! I use a jalapeño in the sauce and it’s easy to control the spicy level of a jalapeño by removing the vein and seeds if you don’t want it too spicy. If you like a little more fire in your food, keep the vein and seeds! Or just add extra hot sauce on top. My particular favorite is Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce. Can’t get enough of that stuff!
Huevos Rancheros is best with lightly fried corn tortillas. I prefer my corn tortillas homemade (I’ll post a recipe soon for them), but if you don’t want to make tortillas fresh by all means just use store bought tortillas. Give them a quick fry, then layer some refried beans, canned is perfectly fine, a fried egg and some ranchero sauce. Top with your favorite toppings. Mine happens to be some crumbled queso fresco, diced avocado and cilantro.
The ranchero sauce in these Huevos Rancheros is simple to throw together in the morning and doesn’t take long to make at all. While the sauce is simmering you can fry the tortillas and heat the beans. Then cook the eggs and assemble. If you’re only cooking for two like me you’ll have extra sauce leftover. No worries though, It’s good on tacos or other Mexican food. I used it up in a taco casserole. Love it when a recipe does double duty.Print
Huevos Rancheros is a perfect meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Use one or two tortillas per egg, depending on how hungry you are!
- Corn tortillas
- 1 can refried beans, warmed
- Vegetable oil, 2 Tbls. for sauce and enough for frying tortillas
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and vein removed if you want it less spicy
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 14.5 oz. cans Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1/4 C. chopped cilantro
- Salt & Pepper
- Toppings: diced avocado, chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, hot sauce (if desired)
Make the Rancheros Sauce
- In large skillet or 2-3 qt. saucepan, heat 2 tbls. oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and jalapeño and cook, stirring frequently, until onions soften, about 4-5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Season with the cumin and a little salt & pepper while cooking.
- For a chunkier sauce, blend one can of tomatoes in a blender and keep one can with the tomatoes diced. If you want a smooth sauce, blend both cans of tomatoes. Add tomatoes to onion mixture and simmer sauce for about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and keep sauce warm while preparing everything else.
- In another skillet, add enough oil to fry tortillas in. Briefly fry each tortilla a minute or so on each side, enough to get them lightly golden. If you want your tortillas super crisp, cook them longer. If you want your tortillas softer, cook less time. It’s just a matter of your preference. Drain tortillas on paper towels as they’re cooked.
Cook your eggs
- Cook your fried eggs the way you like them- runny yolk or more firm. I use a little butter and like to put a lid on them to help cook them more evenly. If you don’t like eggs with a runny yolk go ahead and cook the eggs however you like your eggs, scrambled is fine.
- Place tortilla on plate, spread some heated refried beans on the tortilla. Top with fried egg and some rancheros sauce. Garnish with diced avocado, chopped cilantro and crumbled queso fresco or your favorite shredded cheese. Add a little hot sauce if you want more spice!
This post contains an affiliate link. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but I’m Bored, Let’s Go will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated!