Probably one of my top ten favorite flavor combinations is lemon and blueberries. Recently I made this moist and delicious Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake that was just perfect with my morning cup of coffee!
I’m always on the lookout for a good lemon blueberry cake/quick bread/muffin recipe. For my monthly contribution to Made From Pinterest I made a pound cake from Chef in Training that looked delicious. It turned out beautifully! Which is a big deal cuz I’ve had many flops, like this lemon blueberry bundt cake I shared on Instagram, or this little disaster of lemon blueberry muffin tops. I’m happy to report that I fixed that muffin top disaster and you can get the awesome lemon blueberry muffin top recipe here.
For this pound cake I wanted a strong lemon flavor so I swapped the vanilla in the original recipe for lemon extract and only used lemon juice and not milk in the glaze. The recipe called for the loaves to be baked for 55-60 minutes. I checked mine at 55 minutes and I wish I’d taken it out about 5 minutes earlier. While still moist and delicious, the edges were a bit browned. After 45-50 minutes start checking your loaves by poking with a tooth pick and if it comes out clean it’s ready!
Enjoy this Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake any time of the day but I think it’s particularly tasty for breakfast with a big cup of coffee after my morning workout. I had a slice (ok, let’s be honest, those 2 slices right there in the picture), because why not?
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 1¾ cups sugar
- zest of one large lemon
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp. lemon extract
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2½ cups flour (plus a bit more to toss with the blueberries)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Lemon Glaze
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbls. lemon juice (you could use part milk)
- 1 Tbls. lemon zest
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest together until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat on low an additional minute after each egg, adding lemon extract with the last egg.
- In a separate large bowl add dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Alternate adding ⅓ of the dry ingredients and the buttermilk at a time to the butter/sugar/lemon zest/egg mixture. Don't over mix, just combine the ingredients.
- In small bowl, toss the blueberries with a tablespoon or two of flour to coat the blueberries (this helps keep them from sinking to the bottom when baking). Gently fold blueberries into batter.
- Grease and flour 2 large loaf pans.
- Divide batter between the pans and bake for about 50-55 min. Start checking for doneness after 45 minutes.
- Let loaves cool about a half hour, remove from pans. Drizzle glaze over top of loaves.
- Whisk together glaze ingredients in mixing bowl until smooth.
If you make this Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake, take a pic and tag me @imboredletsgo on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos! You can also catch up with me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter. I’d love for you to follow along!