Are you following a low carb diet? Or gluten free diet? Even if you’re not, I think you’re going to thoroughly enjoy these Low Carb Crab Cakes with Mustard Sauce. Simple to make and really delicious. And the mustard dipping sauce is fantastic!
Every now and then I try to cut back on the carbs and sugar – hello Bacon Jalapeño Mac and Cheese and vanilla ice cream, why do you have to be so dang good? I was in the mood for something more exciting than a grilled chicken breast and decided to try my hand at a low carb crab cake.
I had a nice big can of crab that I bought originally to make some crab enchiladas but that didn’t exactly fit into my low carb eating at the moment. Then I came across a recipe from I Breath I’m Hungry for crab cakes that looked pretty good so that’s what I made. They’re just what I was craving!
These crab cakes are simple to make and only have a few ingredients. If you have lump crab meat, use that and be careful not to break up the lumps when forming the patties. The can of crab I had wasn’t very “lumpy” but that’s okay, it’s still crab and I still love it! The traditional bread crumbs (or panko bread crumbs) were swapped out for coconut flour. To cook the crab cakes and get them a little crispy they are fried in a pan with some coconut oil.
Joe’s Crab Shack in Miami serve their stone crabs with a delicious mustard sauce which I thought would make a fantastic dipping sauce for these crab cakes. A quick search online turned up the recipe from several different sources. I whipped up a batch of the sauce and we devoured these low carb crab cakes with mustard sauce in no time flat!Print
Low Carb Crab Cakes with Mustard Sauce
For the Crab Cakes:
- 1 cup crab meat, lump is best (I used crab from a can that I had)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1.5 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
For the Mustard Sauce
- 3 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 C. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. A-1 steak sauce
- 2 Tbls. half & half
- salt & pepper to taste
Make the mustard sauce:
- In bowl, blend mayonnaise and mustard together for 1 minute (I used a hand held blender). Add remaining sauce ingredients, blend to combine. Set sauce aside in refrigerator for about an hour to let the flavors meld together.
Make the crab cakes:
- Add crab to small bowl (make sure there aren’t any shells or cartilage in the crab meat).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, lemon juice, and dijon mustard, until smooth.
- In another bowl, mix together the old bay, parsley, and coconut flour.
- Fold the egg mixture into the crab. Add dry ingredients to the crab mixture and mix gently. Try not to break up/shred the pieces of crab too much. Form 4-6 crab cakes and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a nonstick pan. Add crab cakes and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt, squeeze some fresh lemon juice over them and serve with Mustard Sauce.
I found the crab cake recipe from I Breathe I’m Hungry and the mustard sauce from several sources online.
If you make these Crab Cakes with Mustard Sauce, be sure to grab your phone and snap a pic. Tag @imboredletsgo on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos!