Today’s Mai Tai-tini isn’t really a martini since a Mai Tai is typically served in a glass with ice. But heck, why not strain it into a martini glass and call it a “tini”? Works for me!
In the summer I love to sit out back enjoy some sunshine, listen to a little Jack Johnson and sip on a Mai Tai. Brings back fond memories of Hawaii. BTW, my cover photo on I’m Bored, Let’s Go Facebook fan page at the moment are all my umbrellas from my Mai Tai’s during a trip to Hawaii a few years ago. I know, there’s quite a few umbrellas, don’t judge me!
My dad first got me started making Mai Tai’s at home a long time ago. He would fill a glass of full of ice, add some Bacardi rum, then add orange juice, pineapple juice and a little cherry juice from a jar of maraschino cherries. Then he would top it of with a splash of Meyer’s dark rum and garnish with a pineapple chunk and cherry on a toothpick. They were so good and really quite simple to make. You can use any combination of juice you like. Typically, a Mai Tai has orange and pineapple juices, but I also like to use the combination juices you find in the grocery store, like orange pineapple banana or orange peach mango. They’re all good with a little rum…trust me on this, I’ve tried them all! Instead of a splash of cherry juice, I will sometimes add a splash of pomegranate juice which I usually have around for my Pomegranate Martinis. This seems to make the drink not as sweet as it is when using the cherry juice. You can also squeeze a little lime juice in there if you want. Then just add some rum, perhaps a little Malibu coconut rum if you like (highly recommended) and top it off with a splash of dark rum. See how simple that is? A delicious Mai Tai-tini for your summertime sipping.
So go out there and add a little rum to the juice in your refrigerator…I think it’s a great way to get one (or two) of your recommended daily servings of fruit! For a couple other delicious tropical ‘tinis recipes check out my Coconut Mango-tini and the Pina Colada-tini.
- 1 measure Bacardi Rum
- 2 measures orange pineapple juice*
- splash cherry, pomegranate or cranberry juice
- splash Malibu coconut rum
- splash Meyer's dark rum
- For a martini style cocktail:
- Combine ingredients in cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake and strain into martini glass.
- For a traditional style cocktail:
- Fill a large glass with ice. Add Bacardi and Malibu coconut rum (if desired), then add juices. Top with a splash of dark rum. Garnish as desired with pineapple, maraschino cherry, and lime slice. For a full tropical effect, throw in an umbrella!
- *Combination juices are delicious in this drink. Try Orange Pineapple Banana, or Orange Peach Mango for example. Any kind you like will taste delicious!