Today’s Mediterranean Roasted Cauliflower recipe was inspired by a cauliflower “couscous” a friend made recently that I loved. This isn’t really couscous as we know it, but it’s a great side dish to serve with meat, chicken or fish. Also perfect when chilled as a salad for lunch! So tasty!
Holidays are over, it’s a new year and I’m betting there’s a lot of people out there looking for some lighter, healthier things to eat right now. Mediterranean roasted cauliflower is low carb and can easily be vegetarian/vegan depending on what you add to it. I’m not sure how “gluten free” it is since I don’t pay attention to that, but I’m guessing it’s probably gluten free too?
All my favorite Greek/Mediterranean inspired flavors are in this dish. You can add or subtract whatever inspires you! I’ve added a few of my favorites…
Olives – I chose Kalamata because I love them!
Sun Dried Tomatoes – for more intense tomato taste
Toasted Pine Nuts – Great for the extra crunch factor
Feta Cheese – omit this if you want to keep it Vegan
Adding some artichoke hearts would be a nice touch to this Mediterranean roasted cauliflower. Some beans like garbanzo (chick peas) or white beans would be awesome. Grilled chicken? Yup, that would be delicious too. Or, perhaps even some small shaped pasta (but it won’t be low carb then). The sky’s the limit… go crazy if you want!
Mediterranean Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower, coarsely chopped into pea size pieces
- 1/2 C. diced red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 C. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 C. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 C. chopped kalamata olives
- 1/4 C. chopped sun dried tomatoes*
- handful of grape tomatoes sliced in half
- zest from 1 lemon*
- 1/4 C. crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 C. toasted pine nuts
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In large bowl add cauliflower, onion, garlic, oregano and olive oil. Toss well to coat.
- Spread cauliflower mixture on large rimmed baking sheet and roast (stirring occasionally) about 30 minutes, until tender and browned.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning (salt & pepper) to taste.
- I use sun dried tomatoes packed in oil and drained.
- Save the lemon juice and add some when adjusting the seasonings at the end if you like.
- Serve warm or chilled.