This Mexican Orzo Salad is a pasta salad I threw together for a neighborhood potluck a while back which I really liked. It’s one of those make-it-up-with-what-you-got kind of dishes. I was too lazy to go to the grocery store so I decided to wing it and this is what I came up with.
Earlier in the week I made a batch of my favorite Chipotle Honey Lime Vinaigrette and had some leftover in the refrigerator so I decided to go with a Mexican themed pasta salad. Then it was just a quick hunt through the pantry and fridge to see what else I had on hand. Some orzo pasta (the only box of pasta I had), okay, that works. Canned beans, check! Some grape tomatoes, check! Scallions and cilantro, check! Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese, that’ll work too! I even had one lonely, small, yellow bell pepper so I diced it up and threw it in. If I had some corn or avocados I would have tossed them in as well, I think they would have been a great addition. Mixed it all together with the vinaigrette and voila! Or…maybe I should say Ole!
I don’t know about you, but I love it when I can create something delicious with ingredients I have on hand…makes me feel less wasteful. So next time you need a quick side dish, take a quick hunt through your pantry and fridge and see what you come up with. I’m sure it will be delicious!Print
Mexican Orzo Salad
A simple, use up what you have on hand kind of recipe!
- 1 box orzo
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 container grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can red beans, drained
- 1 sm. can chopped mild green chiles
- 1/4 c. cubed cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c. cubed monterey jack cheese
- handfull of cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 c. Chipotle Honey Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook orzo according to package directions. When cooked, drain, rinse and put in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss to mix well. Chill or serve room temperature.
Corn and diced avocado would be delicious in this dish, unfortunately I didn’t have any or I would have added them.