This Mexican Orzo Salad is a pasta salad I threw together for a neighborhood potluck a while back which I really liked. It’s one of those make-it-up-with-what-you-got kind of dishes. I was too lazy to go to the grocery store so I decided to wing it and this is what I came up with.
Earlier in the week I made a batch of my favorite Chipotle Honey Lime Vinaigrette and had some leftover in the refrigerator so I decided to go with a Mexican themed pasta salad. Then it was just a quick hunt through the pantry and fridge to see what else I had on hand. Some orzo pasta (the only box of pasta I had), okay, that works. Canned beans, check! Some grape tomatoes, check! Scallions and cilantro, check! Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese, that’ll work too! I even had one lonely, small, yellow bell pepper so I diced it up and threw it in. If I had some corn or avocados I would have tossed them in as well, I think they would have been a great addition. Mixed it all together with the vinaigrette and voila! Or…maybe I should say Ole!
I don’t know about you, but I love it when I can create something delicious with ingredients I have on hand…makes me feel less wasteful. So next time you need a quick side dish, take a quick hunt through your pantry and fridge and see what you come up with. I’m sure it will be delicious!
- 1 box orzo
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 container grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can red beans, drained
- 1 sm. can chopped mild green chiles
- ¼ c. cubed cheddar cheese
- ¼ c. cubed monterey jack cheese
- handfull of cilantro, chopped
- ½ c. Chipotle Honey Lime Vinaigrette
- ½ lime, juiced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook orzo according to package directions. When cooked, drain, rinse and put in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss to mix well. Chill or serve room temperature.