I have two favorite sandwiches, a Patty Melt and a Reuben. If I’m “being bad” and it’s on the menu you can bet I’m getting one or the other. Today I made a Patty Melt with Bacon and Caramelized Onions. At home. So freakin’ good!
Loaded with lots of swiss cheese, sweet caramelized onions, two strips of bacon, and, of course, a big ol’ juicy hamburger patty. I don’t know who doesn’t just love these things (well, except for vegetarians I guess).
Did you know there’s a secret to making a really good grilled sandwich, especially if they’re juicy like this one? Well, there is. The secret…
Grill both sides of each piece of bread!
This way the bread stays crispier and doesn’t get as soggy! Just butter one side of two pieces of bread. Put in fry pan and toast those sides first.
ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICH
- toasted bread (toasted side up)
- burger patty (already cooked)
- caramelized onions
- more cheese
- toasted bread (toasted side down)
Once your sandwich is assembled, put a little butter in the pan and when it’s melted, add your sandwich. Butter the top piece of bread and flip when the bottom is toasted. No different than making a regular grilled cheese sandwich.
I don’t make this kind of food at home very often, but since my son is home visiting, I’m making all sorts of splurge food for him. Luckily for my hips, he kept me from eating that entire sandwich by picking it up and devouring it the minute I was done snapping a picture. Yes it went from his hand in the top picture straight to his mouth. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not (I know my trainer will think its a good thing). Thankfully, I had a chance to savor one delicious bite and I can honestly say, it was the best damn patty melt I’ve had in ages!
Hurry and make yourself this Patty Melt with Bacon and Caramelized Onions, and don’t forget the pickles and chips!
- caramelized onions*
- 2 pieces rye bread
- 2 slices swiss cheese (or more)
- 1 hamburger patty, about ¼ lb, cooked
- 2 pcs. bacon, cooked
- Thinly slice about 1 onion per sandwich and sauté in a couple tablespoons of butter slowly, until golden brown and soft, remove to bowl and set aside.
- Cook bacon, set aside
- Cook hamburger patty, set aside (shape the patty the same size as your bread)
- In same pan you cooked the onions in, add a little more butter (if necessary) and grill one side of two pieces of bread until toasted. Remove and set aside to assemble the sandwich.
- Layer one piece of bread, toasted side up, then one piece of cheese (or enough to cover bread), bacon, hamburger patty, onions, more cheese, then top with second piece of toasted bread, toasted side down (facing inside of the sandwich).
- Butter the outsides of the sandwich (or add more butter to the pan) and grill sandwich on both sides until golden.
Take your cheese out of the refrigerator before you start. It will melt and cook evenly if it's room temperature. I used a combination of sliced swiss cheese and grated gruyere (feel free to use more than 2 pieces if you want. I like lots of cheese!).