Polenta Black Bean Cakes with Orange Basil Salsa
For the Salsa
- 2 oranges, peeled, sectioned and diced (I used some orange zest too)
- 1 lg. tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds/viens removed, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbls. chopped basil
- 1 Tbls. chopped mint
- 1 Tbls. lime juice (I also used the zest)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
For the Black Bean Cakes
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 C. bread crumbs
- 1 onion, small diced
- 1 red bell pepper, small diced (I used a combo of red and orange bell pepper)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- fresh ground black pepper
For the Polenta
- 1 tube pre-made polenta, sliced in 1/4′ slices
- 1 Tbls. olive oil
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
Make the salsa
- Combine all the salsa ingredients in bowl. Let it sit in refrigerator at least an hour for flavors to combine.
Make the black bean cakes
- Preheat oven to 375º
- In blender or food processor, combine 1 cup beans with the eggs. Blend to smooth puree.
- In bowl, combine remaining whole beans and bean/egg mixture.
- In saute pan, heat about 1 Tbls. olive oil and sautee onion, bell pepper, and garlic until soft. Add salt, pepper and cumin and stir to combine.
- Add vegetable mixture and bread crumbs to black bean mixture and stir well to combine.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray or lightly oil baking sheet.
- Scoop about 1/4 c. of bean mixture onto sheet and flatten into patty shape. Continue making patties until bean mixture is used up, you’ll get about 16 patties.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes, flip patties over and bake another 10 minutes. Keep patties warm.
Make the polenta
- In pan, heat about 1 Tbls. olive oil. Add polenta slices in single layer (you will need to do this in batches). Fry until crispy, then flip and fry the other side.
- While the second side is cooking, top the polenta slices with some crumbled goat cheese so it will heat up and start to melt.
- Place polenta slice on platter, top each slice with warm black bean cake, then top each with a spoonful of the orange basil salsa.