Here’s a Southwestern inspired Quinoa Salad with Black Beans Corn and Peaches dressed with one of my favorites – a Chipotle Honey Lime Vinaigrette. It’s a delicious vegetarian dish with just the right amount of smokey, spicy heat and fresh, sweet peaches to cool it all down.
After making this salad, photographing it and eating it, I sat down to write about it. Only then did I realize how similar it is to both a yummy Mexican Quinoa Bowl I made last year and my Mexican Orzo Salad. No wonder I liked it so much! Today’s version is vegetarian, no carnitas in this, but I did use my favorite Chipotle Honey Lime Vinaigrette again. LOVE that stuff!
I had a couple jalapeños so I roasted them in the oven with the corn (you could cook them on a grill if you want – yum). The combination of roasted jalapeños and smokey chipotle is quite nice. While I do think roasting jalapeños calms them down a bit, I know there are a lot of people who can’t handle the heat. If you’re one of them, you could leave out the jalapeños. The cool, sweet peaches are a nice contrast. Don’t have peaches? Try another fruit. Originally I planned on using mango chunks I had in the freezer but a couple peaches on the counter were at their peak ripeness so I used them instead.
This Quinoa Salad with Black Beans Corn and Peaches would be really delicious served on a bed of crispy romaine or your favorite salad greens. I tried that with the leftovers and it’s delicious. I also added some queso blanco with the leftovers and liked that too!
- 1 C. quinoa
- 3 ears corn, shucked*
- 2 jalapeños, seeds & veins removed, sliced*
- 1 Tbls. olive oil
- couple shakes of Salt & pepper
- pinch of smoked paprika
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 scallions, sliced (could use shallots or thinly sliced red onion)
- 1 C. grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2-3 peaches, pitted and sliced
- ½ C. chopped cilantro
- Chipotle Honey Lime Vinaigrette - use enough to coat and flavor the ingredients but not make it soggy.
- greens like romaine, arugula or your favorite salad greens
- Cojita, Queso Fresco or Queso Blanco cheese
- Cook quinoa in water according to package directions. Set aside.
- Remove kernels from corn and place on baking sheet. Slice jalapeños (remove seeds and veins for less heat) and add to baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt & pepper and smoked paprika. Broil in oven several minutes until they start to get charred. Remove from oven and set aside. Alternatively, you could roast the corn on the cob and whole jalapeños on the grill, then cut off the kernels and slice the jalapeños. That would add a nice smokey, grilled flavor you won't get in the oven.
- In large bowl, combine the quinoa, corn, jalapeños, black beans, scallions, grape tomatoes,cilantro and peaches (and cheese if using). Toss with chipotle vinaigrette. Serve on a platter or over a bed of your favorite salad greens.
If you make this Quinoa Salad with Black Beans Corn & Peaches be sure to take a pic and tag me @imboredletsgo on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos! You can also catch up with me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter. I’d love for you to follow along!