My favorite sandwich hands down is the Reuben. I just can’t resist when I see it on a menu. And since so many people enjoy corned beef for St. Patrick’s Day, I thought it would be timely to post a Reuben Sandwich (I have a really special sauce I like to make for it.) Unfortunately, I forgot to buy bread at the grocery store so it’s soup instead (I’m sorry this is the third creamy, white soup in a row). Inspired by my love for Reuben sandwiches, this Reuben Soup turned out to be quite a nice surprise. A hearty and tasty soup that’s perfect for your leftover corned beef!
I had an idea in mind of how I was going to make this soup so did a quick search online to see if anyone else had made something similar or if I just had weird ideas. Well, duh, of course they had! Who knew? I somewhat followed a basic recipe from Allrecipes that had everything I planned on using, then changed some amounts and added a few more ingredients.
As usual, I started by sautéing celery and onions in butter with some garlic. Then added some flour and beef broth, brought it to a boil, then tossed in the potatoes, sauerkraut, corned beef, and some caraway seeds and let it simmer until the potatoes were tender. To finish it I tossed in some swiss cheese and let it melt, then tasted it. Yummy, but I wanted just a bit more zing so I added a tablespoon of whole grain mustard. The recipe online called for 3 cups of half and half which I wasn’t planning to use but the soup was kind of a blah looking color so I added a half cup.
Now all that’s missing was the rye or pumpernickel croutons (too bad I forgot the bread). You know what I think would be a good topper? A grilled swiss cheese sandwich on rye or pumpernickel cut up into croutons like I did with my roasted tomato soup! Give it a try…I hope you like it.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 Tbls. butter
- ¼ C. flour
- 4 C. beef broth
- ¼ tsp. caraway seeds
- 10 baby yellow potatoes, cut in quarters
- 12 oz. corned beef, shredded or cubed
- 1½ C. sauerkraut, drained
- 8 oz. swiss cheese, shredded
- ½ C. half & half
- 1 Tbls. whole grain mustard
- Melt butter in large soup pot.
- Add onions, celery and garlic and sauté a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Stir in flour and cook until combined well.
- Stir in beef broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add potatoes, corned beef, sauerkraut, caraway seeds. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Add mustard, cheese, and half and half. Stir to melt cheese and heat through.
- Serve with croutons, if desired