This Roasted Potato Salad is simple, tasty and you can pretty much add whatever you have hanging out in your kitchen and pantry! Today’s version is full of my favorite Southwestern flavors… chipotle, lime, cilantro, black beans and corn! And, if you like…try cooking the veggies on the grill – always a delicious option!
Yes, I know I just posted a Southwestern flavored recipe last week with my Southwestern Breakfast Stack (OMG soooooo good – be sure to check it out). Sorry for another one, but I just can’t get enough of that flavor profile. I actually made this recipe earlier this summer and thought I better post it before summer is officially over! Although, here in Florida I don’t think summer really ever ends.
Sometimes the best recipes are born when trying to use up random food around the kitchen. This roasted potato salad is all about that. I bought a small bag of little yellow potatoes that I never got around to cooking for one reason or another. That happens a lot to me. I’ll plan to cook something, then a better offer comes up and all plans fly out the window! I’m frequently left with random veggies or something that needs to be eaten. Like the two ears of corn which didn’t get cooked either.
I went the roasting route this time but you could easily cook the potatoes and corn on the grill for even better flavor (and pretty grill marks). After the potatoes and corn are cooked, chop up the veggies, open a can of beans and toss it all together. With a simple vinaigrette of olive oil, agave syrup, lime juice and some chipotle powder, you’ll have a delicious Roasted Potato Salad!Print
Southwestern Roasted Potato Salad
- 1 bag small yellow potatoes, cut in half or quartered*
- 1 Tbls. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- several grinds of fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ears corn, shucked, kernels sliced off the cob
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 small green onions, sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half or quartered
- large handful cilantro, chopped
For the dressing:
- 1 Tbls. olive oil
- 2 Tbls. agave syrup
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- pinch of chipotle powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Toss potatoes with olive oil, paprika, cumin, chipotle powder, salt & pepper and place on baking sheet. Roast potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes or so, depending on the size you cut them into. Remove from oven and set aside.
- On baking sheet, place corn kernels, drizzle a bit more olive oil, a little salt & pepper and roast in oven just slightly, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In large bowl combine potatoes, corn, and remaining salad ingredients. Toss to combine.
- In small bowl, combine dressing ingredients and whisk well. Add to potato salad and toss to combine. Serve room temperature.
*Use your favorite baby/fingerling potato. I cut the potatoes in half but think they were a bit too big and next time will cut them smaller. The measurements for the paprika, cumin, chipotle, salt & pepper are estimates…I didn’t really measure them, just used a few shakes of each spice over the potatoes prior to roasting them. Adjust amounts to your liking.