Remember those roasted vegetables I shared with you in my Roasted Vegetable Salad? Well, I can hardly wait to tell you about one of the dishes I made with some of the left over roasted vegetables!
Aside from using the roasted vegetables in a salad, I also like to use them stuffed in a pita with my Homemade Hummus or tossed with pasta and some Italian sausage. But this time I thought I’d try something new and made some manicotti. Boy did it turn out fantastic!
This recipe is enough for 7 manicotti. I know that’s a weird number. Why not 6 or 8 or 12? Well, I would have made more but when I pulled out my box of manicotti shells, this is what most of them looked like…
Ugh! Don’t you hate it when that happens? Oh well, no worries, I had 7 that were usable so that’s what I used. And besides, there’s only two of us in the house right now so I didn’t need to make a big batch of this stuff. Feel free to double the recipe if you want to make a larger amount.
I diced up the vegetables into smaller pieces and combined them with ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, some frozen (defrosted) chopped spinach and some wonderful chicken meatballs I had in the fridge. You could use Italian sausage if you’d like or if you want to keep it vegetarian just don’t add any meat at all and use more roasted veggies. Then I made a white sauce and used some of my awesome Tomato Basil Sauce that I already had made up in the fridge to top it off.
I wasn’t quite sure how it would all turn out but I figured how bad could it be? It’s full of food I love! Happy to report it’s “blog worthy”.
- 1 C. Roasted Vegetables
- 1 C. shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ C. ricotta cheese
- 6 chicken meatballs or 1 cooked Italian sausage*
- ½ frozen, defrosted, chopped spinach (drained)
- 7 manicotti shells
- 2 Tbls. butter
- 2 Tbls. flour
- 1 C. half & half
- Pinch of salt & white pepper
- 1-2 C. Tomato Basil Sauce or your favorite tomato pasta sauce
- Fresh shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook manicotti according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Dice the roasted vegetables into small pieces and dump into bowl. Dice up chicken meatballs or Italian sausage into small pieces and add to bowl with vegetables. Add mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, and spinach. Mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Stuff the shells with the vegetable mixture
- In small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour cook a bit to combine. Slowly whisk in half and half and continue whisking until thickened. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Put some of the Tomato Basil sauce on bottom of baking dish. Add stuffed manicotti side by side. Top with white sauce, then some Tomato Basil sauce. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top and bake, covered, about 30 minutes, until heated through and bubbly. Remove cover last 10 minutes of cooking.