This Shaved Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette has a little burrata, pine nuts and fresh basil to make things interesting and extra delicious. And if you like, it’s fantastic topped with grilled salmon or your favorite seafood.
I never had a shaved asparagus salad until recently while out to lunch. It was dressed in a lemony vinaigrette and was fantastic. I couldn’t wait to give it a try at home. At first I thought a raw asparagus salad sounded a bit weird and not something I would have been inspired to make at home. But there’s something about thin, shaved ribbons of asparagus, tossed in a delicious vinaigrette that really works. The vinaigrette will soften the asparagus as it sits so toss the shaved asparagus with the vinaigrette just prior to serving.
If you want to make this a main dish meal the asparagus salad makes a delicious bed for some grilled fish or shrimp. I use salmon frequently to top salads, like my Asian Brussels Sprout Salad, but you could use any grilled fish/seafood you like. Or, leave it off if you just want a light salad to accompany your main dish. I had an extra ball of burrata leftover from my Prosciutto Burrata Salad so I tore it up and added it, yummy! I think fresh mozzarella, ricotta, or even shaved parmesan would be equally tasty if that’s what you have.
It’s a bit time consuming, and a little bit awkward shaving the asparagus spears. At first I was trying to apply too much pressure when shaving the spears and it seemed a little difficult. When I lightened up the pressure and shaved more “freely” it was much easier! I used a julienne/vegetable peeler like this one (affiliate link) to make the thin strands of asparagus. You could use a regular vegetable peeler to get wider asparagus ribbons if you want.
- 1 bunch thick stalk asparagus spears
- 1 ball burrata cheese (could substitute fresh mozzarella, ricotta or even shaved parmesan)
- ¼ C. toasted pine nuts
- handful of fresh basil, chopped (plus additional or garnish, if desired)
- 2 salmon fillets, grilled (or cooked your preferred way)*
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tsp. whole grain mustard
- 1-2 tsp. honey (to taste)
- 1 Tbls. champagne or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Make the Vinaigrette: Combine vinaigrette ingredients in small bowl and whisk well to combine, adjust seasoning to taste and set aside.
- Make the Shaved Asparagus: Trim tough ends from asparagus spears. Cut off tips and set aside. With vegetable peeler, peel asparagus stalks. Save the tips for another use or blanch quickly and add to the salad.
- Assemble Salad: Prior to serving, toss the shaved asparagus with the vinaigrette, and basil. Divide on two plates. Top each plate with torn pieces of burrata (or other cheese), pine nuts, grilled salmon fillets (if using) and additional basil as garnish.
Also, I found it easier to shave the asparagus by setting the spear on top of my rolling pin and holding it still (a flat bottomed item would be better). The height allows your fingers and vegetable peeler more room. I didn't have much luck shaving them like I would a carrot, but you might.
Like this recipe? Pin it for later: