This Shrimp, Mango, Avocado, Black Bean Salad with Chile-Lime Dressing is a really fantastic dish, perfect for a pot luck or as a meal by itself.
Last summer I came across a side dish/salad recipe with black beans, mango, and avocado from Kayln’s Kitchen that I’ve made a few times and love. Every time I make it I think how delicious it would be with shrimp added. I had some shrimp and mango in the freezer that I wanted to use up so I thought now was a great time to try it out with shrimp and make this salad for a pot luck we were going to.
The basic recipe sort of reminds me of a chunkier black bean mango salsa. The addition of shrimp makes it more of a main dish summer meal. Diced chicken would also be delicious! I’m even betting it would be tasty on a bed of greens as well. There are endless possibilities. You could even make this without the shrimp as a salsa (cut the mango and avocado in smaller pieces) and add some grilled shrimp to a tortilla and have tacos! Yummmm…I think I might have to give that a try next time. If you don’t like shrimp, or don’t have any, just leave it out – it’s wonderful without it.
- 1 lb. shrimp, cleaned, shells removed
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bag frozen mango chunks, defrosted and drained or 2 fresh mangos, cut up
- 2 avocados, cut in bite sized chunks and tossed with 1 Tbls. lime juice to prevent browning
- 2 scallions, sliced
- ½ C. chopped fresh mint, or cilantro, or combination of both
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 2 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. chile powder
- salt to taste
- 4 Tbls. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place shrimp on baking sheet. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, a little salt & pepper and sprinkle of garlic powder. Roast shrimp in oven for about 6 minutes, until shrimp is pink. Be careful not to overcook shrimp or it will become tough. Set aside and let shrimp cool.
- In small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Add shrimp, beans, mango, avocado, scallions and mint/cilantro to bowl. Gently stir to combine ingredients (be careful that you don't mix too hard or the avocado will get mushy).
- Add dressing to salad and gently stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
If you have fresh mango available, by all means use fresh! I had a bag of frozen mango chunks in the freezer and wanted to use them up so I just used that instead.
You could also grill the shrimp outside on the bbq or in a grill pan instead of roasting them in the oven.