Hash browns, bacon, egg, green chili, cheese and guacamole…this Southwestern Breakfast Stack has it all!
I’m not a huge breakfast eater. I’m more of a brunch kind of gal. When I do make a “big” breakfast it usually includes bacon and eggs! Crispy hash browns on the plate? Even better! I thought this Southwestern Breakfast Stack would be a fun and tasty way to incorporate all my favorite breakfast goodies in one nice, neat pile.
There’s one really cool thing about this stack… THE BACON WEAVE
Have you seen the basket woven style bacon on the internet? I’ve always wanted to give it a try and this was the perfect opportunity. If you don’t want to go to the trouble to make a bacon weave, just use a couple regular strips of bacon. But, if you want to really feel accomplished and get all fancy, give the basket weave approach a try. Here’s how it’s done:
For the base of this stack I used a frozen hash brown patties. Typically, that’s not something I’d keep stocked in the freezer but my youngest son is home and he buys all kinds of “weird” stuff. Damn, I’ll admit it…they’re really, really good. Like a big ol’ tater tot, such a guilty pleasure! They make the perfect base for these Southwestern breakfast stacks.
Once you have your bacon and hash brown patties cooked, it’s just a matter of layering on your favorite cheese, a green chili (Hatch chilies are awesome), guacamole and fried egg on top. Garnish with some cilantro and salsa if you like…or not, it’s all good!Print
Southwestern Breakfast Stack
For each stack you will need:
- 1 frozen hash brown patty
- 3 pieces bacon (you could use less if you’re not weaving the bacon together)
- 1 slice cheese (cheddar, monteray jack or your favorite)
- 1 fried egg
- 1 hatch green chili (I used canned, but fresh, roasted would be awesome!)
- heaping spoonful of guacamole
- Optional: garnish with chopped cilantro and salsa
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Cut bacon in half. On parchment lined baking sheet, weave bacon pieces. Place frozen hash brown patty on baking sheet next to the bacon. Bake until bacon is cooked and hash browns have crisped up, about 15-20 minutes. Flip the hash brown patty half way through cooking.
- To serve, layer hash brown patty, slice cheese, bacon, green chili, guacamole and top with a fried egg. Garnish with chopped cilantro and a spoonful of salsa.
To weave the bacon, lay 3 half pieces of bacon on a parchment lined baking sheet next to each other vertically. Fold the middle piece a third of the way back. Lay one half piece of bacon horizontal. Fold the middle piece down over the horizontal piece. Now fold back the two outside pieces. Lay another piece of bacon down horizontal. Fold those 2 pieces back down over the horizontal piece. Repeat process.