Next installment in the summer of frozen treats (it’s still summer) is this Strawberry Limoncello Frozen Yogurt with Lemon Curd. I haven’t done a frozen yogurt yet so it’s time my friends. If you like strawberry lemonade and ice cream you’re gonna love this. It reminds me of a kicked up strawberry lemonade ice cream float!
The frozen yogurt is made with sweet, juicy strawberries and homemade limoncello. I amped up the lemon flavor with a yummy lemon curd swirled throughout. The tangy yogurt, tart yet sweet lemon and luscious strawberries come together in one incredible frozen treat!
I must admit, the first attempt at this strawberry limoncello frozen yogurt with lemon curd was a bit of a bomb. It froze hard as a brick, which meant there would be absolutely no sneaking a bite from the freezer here and there. While it tasted delicious once it eventually thawed enough to scoop it, I just can’t wait that long! It seemed like the middle was still rock hard while the outside melted. Not how I like my ice cream.
Here’s a picture I took while I was waiting for it to thaw enough to get a scoop to photograph:
The idea was a nice one… pretty and delicious too. Frozen yogurt with strawberries and lemon curd swirled throughout. I knew I had to do something to try to get it creamier on the next attempt. So I added a little bit of cream and some limoncello. I thought maybe the extra fat in the cream would help and since limoncello doesn’t freeze, that might help as well. The other thing I didn’t like the first go around was the hard chunks of strawberries that were frozen solid as well. So this time I pureed them and added it to the yogurt mixture to churn.
I’m happy to report, that while this Strawberry Limoncello Frozen Yogurt with Lemon Curd still freezes quite hard, it only needs to sit out about 10-15 minutes until it’s scoopable. Next time I think I’ll try pouring into popsicle molds then I wouldn’t have to wait at all to eat one!
- 1 lb. container fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- juice from ½ lemon (use zest too)
- ¾ C. sugar
- 1 32 oz. container plain greek yogurt (don't use fat free)
- ¼ C. Limoncello
- ¼ C. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ C. lemon curd (I used store bought)
- Remove tops from strawberries and slice. Add to a bowl with lemon juice and sugar. Let strawberries macerate for about an hour.
- In blender or food processor, blend strawberries (and all the juice). Add yogurt, cream, Limoncello, vanilla and blend again to combine.
- Set mixture in refrigerator to chill until ready to churn in your ice cream maker.
- Freeze yogurt mixture in ice cream machine according to manufacturers instructions. Once churned, pour frozen yogurt into container and swirl in the lemon curd. If your lemon curd is a bit stiff, add a little water to it and thin it out a bit to make it easier to swirl. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze.