Here’s a Vegan Thai Noodle Salad with Soy Curls or Tofu that’s amazing! I love the combination of fresh flavors this main dish salad offers.
One of the first recipes I posted was for Evil Jungle Thai Salad which I absolutely love. It was topped with grilled steak and quite delicious. Now that I’m eating more plant based I thought I’d give that recipe a try substituting the steak for a vegan/vegetarian alternative.
I tried both soy curls and tofu and experimented with each cooked in my air fryer and on the stove top. All were delicious, but my favorite was the air fried soy curls. It had a chewy texture which replaced the grilled steak nicely. Not too much of a surprise since I love soy curls. To be honest, I would have loved the tofu if I didn’t try soy curls so use either and you’ll be pleased!Print
Vegan Thai Noodle Salad with Soy Curls or Tofu
FOR THE MARINADE:
- 3 Tbls. vegan fish sauce*
- Juice and zest from 1 lime
- 1 Tbls. palm sugar (I use this brand)
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 Tbls. lime juice
- 1 Tbls. vegan fish sauce*
- 1 Tbls. orange juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. chile paste
- 2 Tbls. palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbls. neutral flavored oil
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1/2 pkg. Soy Curls or 1 pkg. firm Tofu, drained and pressed**
- 2–3 oz. dried rice noodles (soaked in hot water until soft, drain then and chill)
- 1 sm. bag spring mix lettuce
- 1/4 head savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 C. matchstick cut carrots
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 sm. Persian cucumbers, sliced (or use 1/2 English cucumber)
- 1 C. frozen, cubed, mango – defrosted
- handful of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 C. each, chopped cilantro, mint and basil
Handful roasted peanuts, chopped
FOR THE MARINADE:
- If using soy curls, rehydrate according to package directions, squeeze dry once rehydrated. If using tofu, press tofu to remove excess water, then cut in cubes.
- Combine fish sauce, lime juice, lime zest, and palm sugar in small bowl. Pour over your choice of either soy curls or tofu and marinate while preparing remaining ingredients.
FOR THE SALAD DRESSING:
- Blend together lime juice, fish sauce, orange juice, garlic, chile paste, palm sugar, and oils together in small bowl. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the salad.
FOR THE SALAD
- Cook the soy curls in air fryer for about 6 minutes, or tofu for about 10 minutes, both at 375° and toss them halfway through cooking (you want them to crisp up). Alternatively, stir fry soy curls or tofu in a non-stick skillet with a little sesame oil until browned. Once cooked toss with a few tablespoons of the dressing.
- Mix remaining salad ingredients in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Divide salad among plates, top with either soy curls or tofu (or both!) and sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
*Feel free to use non-vegan fish sauce if desired