Lately I’ve been on somewhat of a Moscow Mule kick. In case you don’t know what a Moscow Mule is, it’s basically vodka and ginger beer. I decided to put a spin on the standard mule with this Watermelon Moscow Mule. It was REALLY good – and if you want, you can easily make it a “mocktail” by omitting the vodka.
One of my husband’s favorite drinks is a Dark & Stormy so we have various brands of ginger beer in the house at all times. When he fixes himself a Dark & Stormy he always offers to make me one but I usually just say “no thanks” and make myself my good ol’ standby, a Pomegranate martini. That is, until recently. Why was I not taking advantage of letting him fix me a drink instead of me getting up and making my own? That was silly so I decided to take advantage of his offering and let him make me a Moscow Mule while he has the can of ginger beer opened. And that’s how I started drinking Moscow Mules this summer. Also, to be perfectly honest, it’s much easier to take a red solo cup up to the roof top deck than trying to carry a full martini glass up there!
Which brings me to this Watermelon Moscow Mule. I had half of a watermelon sitting around so I cut up some chunks and blended it to make fresh watermelon juice. Have you ever done that? It’s delicious! First time I made fresh watermelon juice was for a Watermelon Margarita and I really loved the fresh juice in that drink so I decided to give it a try with the Moscow Mule. It adds just the right amount of fruity sweetness to the drink without masking the tangy ginger beer edge. I suppose if you didn’t want to bother with making watermelon juice you could just muddle a couple chunks of watermelon in the glass first. I also added just a bit of ginger liqueur because I had it, but if you don’t have any, it’s okay without it. Once you’ve got all that together all you need is some vodka and lime and you’re all set!
I think you’ll love this spin on a traditional mule cocktail. And, if you want to try something a little spicier than this Watermelon Moscow Mule check out my Mexican Mule, with a little jalapeño and cilantro, it’s another one that’s sure to please!
- fresh Watermelon
- 2 shots watermelon juice*
- 1 shot vodka
- ½ shot ginger liqueur (I use Domaine de Canton)
- ½ sm. lime, juiced
- 1 can/bottle ginger beer
- To make watermelon juice:
- Add some watermelon chunks to a blender (I used about 2-3 cups because I like to keep some leftover juice in the fridge). Blend well until watermelon is pureed. Strain over fine mesh strainer into container. Save juice, discard pulp.
- To make a Watermelon Moscow Mule:
- Combine watermelon juice, vodka, ginger liqueur and lime juice in cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well, Strain into tall glass filled with ice. Top with ginger beer.
- *or try just muddling a few chunks of watermelon in bottom of glass if you prefer not to make watermelon juice.