Oh wow, these are some pretty awesome Yucatan Chicken Skewers with Nectarine Salsa if I do say so myself! Tender, juicy grilled chicken served on a stick, what’s not to like? And it’s really simple to make!
I found a recipe in Chevy’s Fresh Mex Cookbook that looked pretty good so I thought I’d give it a try. The original recipe called for achiote paste which I didn’t have, but I did have some achiote seasoning packets so I used two of those instead. I also had some pineapple orange juice which I used instead of orange juice and pineapple juice individually.
These chicken skewers were so delicious! I paired them with a nectarine salsa which was so yummy to top them with. I think any fruit salsa would be delicious, so go ahead and try peach, mango or pineapple, whatever you may have around your house. I’ve really been into fruit salsas this summer and haven’t had one I didn’t like yet!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in long strips
- skewers, bamboo or metal
- 2 packets achiote seasoning*
- ¼ C. white wine vinegar
- ¼ C. olive oil
- ½ C. pineapple orange juice
- ½ sm. onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. white pepper
- 3 nectarines, pitted and diced
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 2 Tbls. chopped cilantro
- ½ jalapeno, finely diced
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ small red bell pepper, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Slice chicken breasts lengthwise into strips about ¼ inch thick. Set aside.
- Prepare marinade by combining all marinade ingredients in blender and blend. Pour over chicken strips and marinate in refrigerator until ready to grill.
- Combine salsa ingredients in small bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Thread chicken on skewers and grill on BBQ or grill pan for about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Remove to platter and serve with nectarine salsa.