I love Caprese salad, especially when the tomatoes are at their peak. I just can’t seem to get enough of it so I decided to put a little spin on the traditional caprese salad and came up with this Caprese Salad Stack. OMG, it’s the best!
I sliced a couple thick slices from a crusty baguette and brushed them with a little olive oil, then grilled the slices on my grill pan to get them toasted. I suppose you could put them in the oven to toast them as well. This will help to keep them from getting a bit soggy. Next, I spread a little bit of my favorite pesto on top of the bread. Sure, you could use store bought pesto if you’d like. But homemade is soooo much better. Then I topped the bread with a slice of a really delicious tomato I got from the local farmers market, along with fresh buffalo mozzarella, and basil. That in itself is fantastic, but I really love balsamic glaze so I drizzled that over the top and finished with a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts.
Not only is this Caprese Salad Stack perfect for a light lunch, but imagine how awesome it would be at your next gathering served as an appetizer. You’re guests will think you’re a genius for coming up with such a creative and delicious nibble!
Caprese Salad Stack
- Baguette, sliced
- olive oil, to brush on baguette slices
- Pesto, store bought or homemade
- Tomatoes (I like Compari tomatoes)
- Buffalo Mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- Balsamic Glaze
- Pine nuts, toasted
- Cut baguette into slices, brush with olive oil and grill slices on grill pan to toast. Alternatively, you could place slices on baking sheet and toast them in the oven.
- Spread some pesto on each slice.
- Top with a slice of tomato, slice of fresh mozzarella, and basil.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze over top*
- Sprinkle with a few pine nuts.
*You can make your own glaze by simmering balsamic vinegar in small saucepan until it reduces to a thicker consistency or purchase a bottle of balsamic glaze at the grocery store.