Today I’m serving up some Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks with a Mexican twist. Perfect to satisfy that nacho craving you may be having without all the dreaded carbs!
If you search the internet for cheesy cauliflower breadstick recipes, you’ll find they’re all very similar. Finely chopped cauliflower, eggs, cheese, and some seasonings. It’s just the number of eggs and amount of cheese that seems to differ. Then there’s the question if it’s better to squeeze the water out of the cauliflower or not – YES it is.
To make these incredible Mexican cheesy cauliflower breadsticks I chop up one head of cauliflower in my food processor which produces about 5 cups of grated cauliflower. Then I microwave it in a bowl covered with a plate for about 6-8 minutes. Let it cool a bit, wrap it up in a thin kitchen towel and squeeze out the water. I usually get about a cup of water from it! It’s important to get as much water out as you possibly can. After that, I just mix in some eggs, cheese and seasonings, spread it in a pan, about a half inch thick, and bake it in the oven. When it’s done, I add more cheese and pop it back in the oven to melt the cheese. Slice it up, crumble a little queso fresco on top and serve with guacamole, sour cream and pico de gallo or whatever I happen to have on hand.
Now, doesn’t that sound awesome? It’s one very satisfying cheesy cauliflower breadstick recipe, perfect for anyone trying to cut down on carbs and eat more vegetables!Print
Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks
Love nachos but not all the carbs? Here’s a healthy, low carb alternative to satisfy that craving!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 small eggs (if you have jumbo eggs, just need 1)
- 2 C. grated cheese (I used part mozzarella and part sharp cheddar)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- pinch of salt & pepper
- Top with your choice of guacamole, sour cream, salsa, crumbled queso fresco, chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Remove core from cauliflower and cut up florets into smaller pieces. Add to food processor and finely chop cauliflower. Place in microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave, covered, on high for about 6-8 minutes.
- Set aside and let it cool a bit, then dump cauliflower onto a kitchen towel or cheese cloth and squeeze out excess water (you’ll get a lot of water, keep squeezing), return cauliflower to bowl.
- Add eggs, 1 1/2 C. cheese and seasonings and mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread cauliflower mixture on baking sheet and shape into a rectangle, about an 1/2-1 inch thick.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add remaining 1/2 cup cheese* on top and return to oven until cheese is melted and bubbly good!
- Let it rest for a few minutes, then slice into breadstick shape sticks.
- Top with some prepared guacamole, sour cream, salsa, crumbled queso fresco and chopped cilantro as desired.
- *use more if you love cheese as much as I do!
If the cauliflower mixture seems a little wet you can add a tablespoon of almond flour to the mixture.