In honor of National Potato Day I give you a super yummy breakfast of Hasselback Potatoes with Chorizo and Eggs.
When I was in Spain a couple years ago one of my favorite tapas was a potato dish with chorizo and a fried egg on top. The potatoes were usually diced in fairly large chunks and oh so crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. And Spanish chorizo is to die for! I had that tapas dish every place we went. (I even made a plant based version here.)
I recently discovered Hasselback Potatoes. Ummm… hello? What rock have I been under? Apparently they’ve been around for a long time! I thought I’d try a Hasselback potato version with my beloved chorizo and egg. If you can find really good Basque chorizo then this dish will be all the better with it. If not, just use what chorizo you can find at the market… or if you’re eating vegetarian and prefer a plant based chorizo I use Soyrizo brand and it’s pretty good.
Thinly slice the potatoes but be careful not to go all the way through the bottom. You just want to be able to have the potato fan out a bit. Then put them in a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil, a little salt, pepper and garlic powder and roast in the oven until they’re crispy and good. To assemble, just stuff the chorizo between the potato sections and top with a fried egg and a few other garnishes.Print
Hassleback Potatoes with Chorizo and Eggs
- 4 russet baking potatoes
- 1 pkg. Soyrizo plant based chorizo or regular chorizo
- 4 eggs
- Olive oil
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Chopped cilantro
- diced tomatoes
- crumbled queso fresco
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Slice potatoes in thin slices being careful to not cut all the way through. You want the potato to stay in one piece! Coat potatoes in olive oil (get in between the slices) and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bake in roasting pan in oven for about 45 minutes – 1 hour, until potatoes are cooked and getting crispy.
- Meanwhile, remove uncooked soyrizo or chorizo from casing, and cook in skillet, breaking it up into small crumbles. If using real chorizo you may need to drain off fat.
- Remove potatoes from oven, top with crumbled chorizo (put some in between the potato slices). Top each potato with a fried egg and garnish with cilantro, diced tomatoes and queso fresco.
If you can’t find chorizo, try something different, like bacon or pancetta!