Here’s a Jerk Inspired Jackfruit, Mango and Bean Salad that’s big on flavor with a kick of spice from jalapeno and red pepper flakes cooled with some juicy, sweet mango.
I have so many cookbooks that it’s time to start cooking more from them! So when I came across a recipe in my Bosh cookbook for this jackfruit dish, it sounded delicious and worth a try. I’m not really a fan of allspice which is a component in typical jerk seasonings so I left it out as well as substituted the scotch bonnet (a bit too much kick for me) with a jalapeño All in all, this is a very tasty plant based dish that I enjoyed for a nice change of pace!Print
Jerk Inspired Jackfruit Mango and Bean Salad
- 2 14oz. cans young jackfruit in water, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lg. tomato, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 C. diced mango
- 1 14oz. can red beans, drained, rinsed
- 2–3 Tbls. cashews
- 1/2 C. chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooked rice
For the Jerk Inspired Spice Paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbls. ginger paste (or fresh, grated ginger)
- 2 scallions
- 1 jalapeno (seeded, deveined if you want less spice)
- 1/2 C. fresh parsley
- 1/2 C. fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbls. black pepper
- 1 Tbls. red chile flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbls. water
- 1 Tbls. olive oil
For the Dressing
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbls. olive oil
- pinch of salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine spice paste ingredients in food processor and blend to form a coarse paste. Set aside.
- Drain jackfruit and rinse. Pat dry. Shred jackfruit or pull apart into pieces. Pat dry again. In bowl combine jackfruit with spice paste and mix well. Spread jackfruit on lined baking sheet and roast in oven 30 minutes.
- While jackfruit is roasting, mix dressing ingredients in small bowl and set aside.
- In separate bowl toss diced red bell pepper, tomato, mango, beans, cashews, cilantro with dressing. Taste and season with more salt & pepper if desired.
- To serve, add some cooked rice to a plate/bowl. Spread roasted jackfruit over the rice and top with the salad/bean mixture.