Pollo Asado Tacos with Grilled Peppers have been a staple around here the past several months. I just can’t get seem to get enough and the leftovers are fantastic the next day in a salad! Just because summer is over don’t let that minor detail keep you from making this tasty recipe… you can cook them indoors on a grill pan too!
My carne asada street taco recipe is the most popular recipe on this blog, however, I make these pollo asado tacos with grilled peppers, onions and tortillas much more frequently. I guess it’s about time to share the recipe here on the blog. One of the best things about this recipe is you can customize it to include whatever veggies you prefer. That’s always a plus if you’re serving this to people with varied taste preferences!
I don’t particularly care for green bell peppers but love the colorful red, orange and yellow bell peppers. I think poblano peppers are so yummy in this dish, but feel free to substitute other green chiles like Anaheim, Hatch, or jalapeños if you’d like. I’m also not a big fan of raw red onion (a little too strong) but the sliced grilled red onion is perfect in this dish and a must for me. For the cheese, I like to use a crumbled Mexican cheese like queso fresco or cotija.
The process to make these Pollo Asado Tacos with Grilled Peppers is simple:
- Marinade the chicken – Just mix up the marinade ingredients in a large ziplock bag and toss in the chicken thighs to sit and marinate for a few hours.
- Grill the chicken and veggies – you can even grill some sliced orange and lime for fun!
- Assemble the tacos – Arrange the grilled chicken and veggies on a platter and let your family or guests add what they like in a warmed tortilla. I like to grill my tortillas as well.
- Garnish with goodies – Top your tacos with with cilantro, cheese, sliced avocado, pico de gallo or whatever else you desire… then dig in!
Use your favorite tortillas, corn or flour, for these pollo asado tacos with grilled peppers. Or, try making your own homemade tortillas, it’s easy and they’re delicious!Print
Pollo Asado with Grilled Peppers
- 6 Boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 each red, yellow, orange bell pepper, sliced in quarters
- 2 poblano chile peppers, sliced in half or quarters if large
- 1 red onion, sliced thick
- Queso fresco or cotija cheese
- Avocado, sliced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Tortillas, corn or flour
- Optional: green onions, sliced oranges to grill
For the Marinade:
- 1/4 C. Olive Oil
- 1/2 C. Orange juice
- 1 Lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 C. diced red onion
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle powder (or other chili powder)
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced
- Combine marinade ingredients in bowl and whisk to combine. Add chicken thighs and marinate for a couple hours. For ease of clean up, use a ziplock bag!
- Meanwhile, slice peppers into quarters and remove seeds. Slice the red onion into a few thick slices. Lightly brush veggies (including whole green onions, if desired) with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside until ready to grill.
- Heat grill. Alternatively you can use a grill pan on the stove or other indoor type grill. Remove chicken from marinade and grill, along with the veggies, until everything is cooked. Slice chicken and veggies. Serve with warmed tortillas, top with cheese, cilantro, and avocado.
I have only made this on the outdoor bbq and indoors on a grill pan on the stove. If you have neither don’t let that stop you, just cook it like you would a steak!
If you like, add a squeeze of lime, pico de gallo or other toppings!
Subscribe HERE and never miss a new recipe!