Want a really fantastic, quick and easy side dish to adorn your Thanksgiving table? This Spinach, Mushrooms & Cheese Casserole has made an appearance on our family’s Thanksgiving table every year when the kids still lived at home. I usually double or triple the recipe because everyone loves it so much
The recipe is very simple and can easily be adjusted to your preferences. If you’re like me, you will sneak in extra mushrooms and cheese! And the nice thing about this dish is you can make it ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to cook. Just take it out of the refrigerator to warm up a bit and pop it in the oven to heat up and get melty good while the turkey rests. It only requires about 20 minutes in the oven.Print
Spinach, Mushrooms & Cheese Casserole
- 3 10oz. boxes frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 8oz. boxes mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Tbls. butter, divided
- 1/2 C. finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic (or you can use some garlic powder)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 C. cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to saute pan and saute mushrooms and garlic until mushrooms soften and release their water, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Squeeze excess water out of spinach and add to large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons melted butter, onions, couple shakes of salt & pepper to taste, and mix well.
- In small, high walled casserole dish (1.5-2 quart size is good), layer half spinach mixture, mushrooms, half cheese, remaining spinach, then remaining cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes, until hot and cheese is melted.