Looking for something a little sweet and a little savory to serve for an appetizer? This Bruschetta with Strawberry Chutney and Goat Cheese hits the mark in the sweet & savory hors d’oeuvres department.
I shared this recipe with my friends at Made From Pinterest for Valentine’s Day this year. I thought it would be a nice change of pace from all the sweet dessert recipes floating around for that day. I found the recipe on Pinterest and it sounded interesting and unique so I thought why not give it a try, after all, I’ve always thought chutney (a condiment typically made with fruit, sugar, vinegar and spices) pairs nicely with goat cheese. The combination of sweet strawberries, balsamic vinegar and spices in this chutney recipe is a nice compliment to the tangy goat cheese. The toasted slice of baguette adds a nice crunch while the soft goat cheese adds a smooth creaminess. All the flavors combine nicely into one very delicious bite.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- ½ clove garlic. chopped
- ½ pound ripe strawberries, cut in quarters
- 1 to 2 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp ground thyme
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- pinch salt
- 1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 4 oz. goat cheese (I used honey goat cheese which was quite tasty)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in sauté pan and add shallot and garlic. Cook until the shallots and garlic are soft. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add strawberries, honey, thyme, cinnamon, salt and pepper and continue to cook over medium heat (stir occasionally) until the strawberries break down and the mixture starts to become the consistency of jam.
- Add balsamic vinegar and cook a couple more minutes. Taste and adjust with more honey if it's too sour or more vinegar if it's too sweet.
- Slice baguette. Brush with olive oil and toast in oven.
- Top each baguette slice with some goat cheese and a dollop of the strawberry chutney.
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)