I just threw together this Creamy Tortellini Sausage Kale Soup and its sooooo good! It comes together in a snap and hits the spot!
Pull out a dutch oven or your favorite pot to make soup in and cook up some crumbled sweet Italian sausage with diced onion and carrot. Add some garlic, some Italian spices (I love extra fennel!), a can of chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken broth, let it simmer to thicken a bit and just before serving toss in some chopped kale (you could use spinach), tortellini and heavy cream. That’s it! Finish each bowl with some freshly grated parmesan cheese and you have one big bowl of comforting, delicious soup!Print
Creamy Tortellini Sausage Kale Soup
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1/2 lg yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbls. Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. whole fennel (opt.)
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (opt.)
- 4 Tbls. tomato paste
- 1 – 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 large handfuls chopped kale (use as much as you like)
- 1 – 19oz. pkg. frozen cheese tortellini (you can use fresh if you like)
- 1 C. heavy cream
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
- In dutch oven or soup pot, add sausage, diced onion and carrot. Break apart sausage and cook until sausage is cooked and onions/carrots are tender. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, fennel and red pepper flakes (if using) and cook another minute or two.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes (with their juice) and chicken stock. Simmer about 10 minutes or so to let the tomato paste thicken a bit. See notes if you’d like to use flour for a thicker soup.
- Just prior to serving, add tortellini, kale and heavy cream and cook a couple minutes until kale is wilted and tortellini is heated up.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if desired. Top each bowl with some grated parmesan cheese.
This soup is not too thick. If you want a thick soup, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of flour over the sausage mixture prior to adding liquid for a thicker soup.