Do you make big breakfasts on the weekend? I don’t as frequently as I use to when I had two boys living at home, but sometimes we enjoy cooking a bigger breakfast and this Breakfast Hash with Chorizo & Eggs hits the spot!
After I posted a recipe for Hassleback Potatoes with Chorizo and Eggs my neighbor, who loves chorizo just as much as I do, brought me a package of the kind of chorizo she uses (Cacique is the brand). It’s a Mexican chorizo that comes in a tube rather than individual links. I thought a “hash” with the chorizo and potatoes cooked in my cast iron skillet sounded like a good idea.
I cut up the potatoes into chunks along with an onion and orange bell pepper. Cooked it up in a little oil in the skillet. While that was cooking, I cooked the chorizo in a different pan (wasn’t sure how it would cook up), then added it to the potatoes. When I was ready to serve breakfast, I fried up a couple eggs to put on top. Garnished with a little shredded cheddar, green onion and cilantro and declared it breakfast!
But I didn’t stop there. I had some potato/chorizo mixture left over so I thought I’d also try it with scrambled eggs instead of fried eggs. That was really awesome too! In fact, personally, I liked this version better. Just scramble the eggs in the same skillet with the remaining potato/chorizo. Both ways were so delicious so I thought it was best to give you options. If you prefer scrambled eggs over fried eggs, give the scrambled egg version a try.Print
Breakfast Hash with Chorizo & Eggs
- 4 C. diced red potatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- couple shakes of salt & pepper
- Oil for cooking
- 1 pkg. chorizo
- eggs – 1 or 2 per person, depending on how many eggs each person wants
- Garnish: Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, chopped cilantro
- Dice potatoes into chunks. I quartered them, then cut the quarters in half, so I got 8 chunks per potato. Cut onion and orange bell pepper into similar sized pieces. Heat skillet and add some oil to cook the potatoes, onions and peppers. I like to cover the potatoes while they cook and continue to stir occasionally so they don’t burn.
- Meanwhile, brown/cook chorizo in pan, then add to potatoes. When ready to serve, add potato/chorizo mixture to plate and top with fried egg. Garnish with shredded cheese, sliced green onion and some chopped cilantro.
For the scrambled egg version:
- Mix a couple eggs together in a bowl as you normally would for scrambled eggs. Add to skillet with potatoes and chorizo and cook, stirring, until eggs are cooked. Then garnish as noted above.