Here I go again…pulling all the orphans out of the refrigerator to make something up to eat. I just love doing that. No pressure. If it turns out icky, no big deal. If it turns out yummy, then it’s victory! This time I made a Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup and I’m happy to report it was a tasty success.
It all started with a container of pre-diced butternut squash. I had been meaning to roast them or do something with them but never quite got around to it. So today it was going to become soup. I also had a couple jalapeno peppers so I knew I wanted a spicy flavor profile this time around. Also had a few extra slices of bacon so I decided to use it for a topping. Grabbed some onion, celery, half of a left over red bell pepper, a jalapeno, and even an apple, diced it all up and sautéed them in the leftover bacon fat. If you don’t want to use bacon, no problem, just use a little olive oil or butter or whatever you like to sauté the vegetables. Remember, we’re just winging it here.
After the vegetables started to soften, I added some chopped garlic, cumin, chili powder and chipotle chili powder, even a little oregano, salt & pepper. Then I added some chicken broth and dumped in the butternut squash and let it simmer until the squash was cooked. Once cooked, I added a can of pumpkin puree, just for the heck of it. Then a quick whirl with the immersion blender and soup was done! I thought about adding some cream to finish it off but I didn’t think it needed it so I left it out. Of course, feel free to add some if you want.
Be sure to add this Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup to your fall recipe line up!Print
Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 – 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 apple, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 6 C. chicken stock
- 1 pkg. peeled, diced butternut squash (20oz.)
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- Optional garnish: sour cream, chopped cilantro
- Cook diced bacon in soup pot. Remove bacon and set aside. Keep bacon fat in pot.
- Add onion, celery, red bell pepper, jalapeño, apple, and saute in bacon fat until softened.
- Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, chipotle powder, oregano, salt & pepper and sauté a couple minutes more.
- Add chicken broth and squash. Bring to boil, reduce and simmer until squash is cooked and soft.
- Add pumpkin, remove from heat and blend with immersion blender (or use regular blender) to desired consistency.
- Garnish individual soup bowls with a bit of sour cream, a sprinkle of bacon bits and some chopped cilantro.