Here I go again…pulling all the orphans out of the refrigerator to make something up to eat. I just love doing that. No pressure. If it turns out icky, no big deal. If it turns out yummy, then it’s victory! This time I made a Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup and I’m happy to report it was a tasty success.
It all started with a container of pre-diced butternut squash. I had been meaning to roast them or do something with them but never quite got around to it. So today it was going to become soup. I also had a couple jalapeno peppers so I knew I wanted a spicy flavor profile this time around. Also had a few extra slices of bacon so I decided to use it for a topping. Grabbed some onion, celery, half of a left over red bell pepper, a jalapeno, and even an apple, diced it all up and sautéed them in the leftover bacon fat. If you don’t want to use bacon, no problem, just use a little olive oil or butter or whatever you like to sauté the vegetables. Remember, we’re just winging it here.
After the vegetables started to soften, I added some chopped garlic, cumin, chili powder and chipotle chili powder, even a little oregano, salt & pepper. Then I added some chicken broth and dumped in the butternut squash and let it simmer until the squash was cooked. Once cooked, I added a can of pumpkin puree, just for the heck of it. Then a quick whirl with the immersion blender and soup was done! I thought about adding some cream to finish it off but I didn’t think it needed it so I left it out. Of course, feel free to add some if you want.
Be sure to add this Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup to your fall recipe line up!
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ - 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 apple, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 6 C. chicken stock
- 1 pkg. peeled, diced butternut squash (20oz.)
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- Optional garnish: sour cream, chopped cilantro
- Cook diced bacon in soup pot. Remove bacon and set aside. Keep bacon fat in pot.
- Add onion, celery, red bell pepper, jalapeño, apple, and saute in bacon fat until softened.
- Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, chipotle powder, oregano, salt & pepper and sauté a couple minutes more.
- Add chicken broth and squash. Bring to boil, reduce and simmer until squash is cooked and soft.
- Add pumpkin, remove from heat and blend with immersion blender (or use regular blender) to desired consistency.
- Garnish individual soup bowls with a bit of sour cream, a sprinkle of bacon bits and some chopped cilantro.