This Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup came about by pulling out all the orphans in the fridge that needed to be eaten. Soup’s a good way to use up extra veggies and I’m happy to report this soup was a tasty success.
It all started with a container of pre-diced butternut squash. I had been meaning to roast them or do something with it but never quite got around to it. So today it was going to become soup. Grabbed some onion, celery, handful of baby carrots, half a jalapeno (omit if you want), and even an apple, diced it all up and sautéed them in a little bit of olive oil. If you have bacon and want to use that, cook it up and sauté the veggies in the leftover bacon fat. I had some prosciutto so opted to get them crispy in the oven and use for a garnish.
After the vegetables started to soften, I added some chopped garlic, cumin, chipotle chili powder, even a little oregano, salt & pepper. Then I added some broth (use vegetable or chicken as you prefer) and dumped in the butternut squash and let it simmer until the squash was cooked. Once cooked, I added a can of pumpkin puree, just for the heck of it. Then a quick whirl with the immersion blender and soup was done! You could add some cream if you like. I used a bit of sour cream to plop on top.
Be sure to add this Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup to your fall recipe line up!Print
Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup
- 4 slices bacon, diced or 2Tbls. Olive oil
- 1/2 lg. onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 lg. carrot, diced (I used handful of baby carrots)
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded, diced (opt.)
- 1 apple, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 6 C. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 15oz pkg. peeled, diced butternut squash
- 1 15oz. can pumpkin puree
sour cream, chopped cilantro, bacon bits or crispy prosciutto
- Cook diced bacon in soup pot. Remove bacon and set aside. Keep bacon fat in pot. If keeping this plant based, omit bacon and use olive oil to sauté the veggies in.
- Add onion, celery, red bell pepper, jalapeño, apple, and sauté until softened.
- Add garlic, cumin, chipotle chile powder, oregano, salt & pepper and sauté a couple minutes more.
- Add broth and squash. Bring to boil, reduce and simmer until squash is cooked and soft.
- Add pumpkin, remove from heat and blend with immersion blender (or use regular blender) to desired consistency.
- Garnish individual soup bowls with a bit of sour cream, a sprinkle of bacon bits or crispy prosciutto and some chopped cilantro.
To keep this plant based, omit bacon, prosciutto and sour cream (or use vegan sour cream alternative).
To make crispy prosciutto: Line prosciutto slices on baking sheet and cook in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes until crispy.