I love Miso cod so I decided to make something with a similar flavor profile and plant based. This delicious Miso Tofu with Scallion Ginger Garlic Noodles turned out to be quite a yummy alternative!
You can swap out the tofu with your favorite plant based protein. I think tofu works well because it absorbs the delicious miso marinade nicely. The tofu can be cooked in the air fryer or in a fry pan with a little sesame oil. I have not tried to bake the tofu but no doubt that would work as well.
For the noodles, I like to use wide ramen noodles like these and just set aside the seasoning packet. Use any ramen or other noodle you like.
Miso Tofu with Scallion Ginger Garlic Noodles
- 1 block firm/extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and cubed*
- 4 – 5oz. pkg. ramen noodles (don’t use seasoning packet)
For the Miso Marinade:
- 1/4 C. sake
- 1/4 C. Mirin
- 4 Tbls. white miso paste
- 2 Tbls. brown sugar
For the Sesame Scallion Ginger Sauce:
- 1 knob (4-5″) ginger, finely minced (or substitute ginger paste)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1/2 C. neutral flavor oil
- 3 Tbls. soy sauce
- 2 Tbls. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- salt to taste
- sesame seeds
- chopped cilantro
- sliced scallions
- red pepper flakes
- Combine miso ingredients in small saucepan and heat gently until miso and sugar are dissolved. Let cool.
- Press excess water from tofu, cut into cubes. Marinate tofu in cooled miso marinade about 30 minutes (can marinate longer if desired).
- Remove tofu from marinade and place in single layer in air fryer (be sure the pieces are not touching and make in a couple batches if necessary). Cook 400°F for about 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking. Set aside cooked tofu.
Make the Sauce/Noodles:
- Heat 1/2 cup neutral flavored oil in saucepan over medium. Turn off heat, add ginger, garlic and half of the sliced scallions. Let mixture infuse 5 minutes then stir in remaining scallions, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, pepper, sesame oil and sugar. Season with salt. Set aside for flavors to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain.
Toss the noodles with the sauce. Gently add the tofu to combine (or add tofu on top of noodles once plated). Top each serving with desired garnishes.
*To get more water out of the tofu, freeze the block first, then thaw and press. It will produce a firmer texture.