Since I was a kid my Dad has been making this Baked Vanilla Custard. Today he made a batch and posted a picture on our family chat which reminded me what a treat I always thought it was! Inspired by my Dad today I decided make a batch!
This recipe requires just a few simple ingredients you probably already have in the house… eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste. My Dad tops it with just a sprinkle of nutmeg but today I also added some defrosted frozen blueberries and slices from a very ripe banana that needed to be eaten. Soooo good. And my favorite part… the “skin” that forms on top when it’s cooled and ready to eat!Print
Baked Vanilla Custard
This is the custard recipe my Dad has made my entire life. Creamy and delicious!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Set aside.
- In saucepan, heat milk to just before scalding.
- Whisk milk into egg mixture in small amounts until all milk is incorporated. Pour the custard into ramekins.
- Pour hot water into a large baking pan and set the ramekins into the water bath. Water should come up about half way on ramekin.
- Carefully place baking pan with ramekins in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. Knife inserted into middle should come out clean.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg. Let cool. Serve with sliced fruit, if desired.