When summer rolls around I tend to move from my standard “girly” martinis and drink more cocktails in tall glasses that are refreshing and full of ice. I can’t tell you enough how much I’m really loving this Blackberry Fizz cocktail. It’s a perfect summertime drink! And, it can easily be made non-alcoholic for those who want the virgin version simply by omitting the alcohol.
I like blackberries, but their seeds…not so much. So for this Blackberry Fizz I decided I’d make a simple syrup with blackberries and tarragon. A flavored simple syrup like this is a great way to make drinks when you have a party and don’t want to spend your time muddling the components for each drink every single time. Just make up a batch of the flavored syrup in the morning, then when it comes time to make cocktails, all you have to do is add ice, syrup and alcohol to a glass. Easy peasy.
I tried making this drink with both vodka and rum. You know what? It’s fantastic with both! So I recommend you choose whichever one you prefer. And of course, if you want a non-alcoholic version, just omit the alcohol, it’s still a refreshing, delightful drink!
I hope you enjoy this Blackberry Fizz as much as I do. Now I’m on a kick of combining fruit and herbs and can’t wait to try more! What’s your favorite fruit/herb combination?Print
A delicious, refreshing summertime drink, easily made non-alcoholic by omitting the booze!
- 1 oz. Blackberry Tarragon syrup
- 2 oz. vodka or rum
- .5 oz. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Club Soda
Blackberry Tarragon Syrup
- 1 pint blackberries
- 1/2 C. water
- 1/2 C. sugar
- couple sprigs tarragon
- Make Blackberry Tarragon syrup:
- In small sauce pan combine berries with water and sugar and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer to break down berries. Use a potato masher to mash the berries as they soften. Add tarragon and simmer a few more minutes. Remove from heat. Pour through mesh strainer to remove seeds and tarragon. Set aside to cool, then store in refrigerator.
- To make drink:
- Combine blackberry syrup and vodka or rum in cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well to combine. Strain into tall glass filled with ice. Top with club soda, stir, sip and enjoy!