Looking for a different way to cook your cabbage this St. Patricks Day? Try this Cabbage with Bacon and Roasted Potatoes. I thought it was so fantastic I couldn’t stop eating it!
Usually, my favorite way to prepare cabbage is sautéing it with onions, garlic and caraway seed in a little olive oil, then adding a little white wine and cook until it’s tender. This time I wanted to shake things up a bit. I had some pretty little red potatoes and some awesome thick cut applewood smoked bacon. With those two ingredients I figured I couldn’t go wrong.
I love roasted potatoes with their creamy inside and crispy outside. I didn’t want to loose the crispiness in this recipe so instead of cooking the potatoes with the cabbage I decided to roast them in the oven. I suppose you could fry them up in the pan, then remove them and set aside while cooking the cabbage. But for me it just seemed quicker to cook the potatoes in the oven while I was cooking the bacon and finishing the dish. Once they’re combined with the cabbage they will get a bit less crisp from the steam and moisture of the cabbage the longer they sit.
This Cabbage with Bacon and Roasted Potatoes would make a great side dish to that corned beef you know you want to have on St. Patrick’s Day. And trust me on this, it’s way, way better than boiled cabbage!Print
Cabbage with Bacon and Roasted Potatoes
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cut into bite sized pieces
- 5 slices thick cut bacon
- 1.5 lbs. baby red potatoes
- 1 lg. onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1/4 C. white wine
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut potatoes into quarters and spread on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Season liberally with salt & pepper, garlic powder. Roast potatoes about 15 minutes, stirring half way through, until tender and crispy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a high side skillet, big enough to add your cabbage to later (use a dutch oven if you don’t have a high sided skillet. Either cook the bacon in strips and break it up later or dice the bacon first, then cook. Remove bacon, set aside. Drain grease from pan but leave about 2 tablespoons in the skillet to cook the vegetables in.
- To the skillet with the bacon grease, add onions and cook over medium heat, until they start to soften. Add cabbage, garlic, a little salt & pepper and caraway seeds. Stir and continue to cook a few minutes until the cabbage starts to soften and everything is combined well. Add white wine, stir, cover and cook about 5 more minutes until cabbage is tender. Stir the cabbage a few times while it’s cooking.
- When cabbage is done, remove lid, add the roasted potatoes and bacon. Toss well to combine and serve.