These beer battered Cauliflower Tacos are delicious! The batter is light and crispy which give the cauliflower a nice crunch.
I first made this beer batter for fish tacos way back in the early days of this blog. I also used it for some awesome zucchini bites. Today I wanted to make some plant based tacos with the cauliflower I had in the fridge and thought I’d batter them up for a crunchy taco filling. I fried these in oil and have not tried baking them or cooking them in the air fryer so I can’t attest to how they would turn out prepared that way.
I filled the cauliflower tacos with a little shredded lettuce, Pico de Gallo, drizzled a homemade white sauce over top and a sprinkle of sliced green onions. Such a great tasting plant based taco…I really enjoyed these!Print
- Cauliflower florets (I used about 1/2 cauliflower)
- Pico de Gallo (or diced tomatoes)
- shredded lettuce
- sliced green onion and lime wedge, for garnish
For the Beer Batter:
- 1/2 bottle of Mexican beer (about 1 cup is fine)
- 1 C. rice flour
- 1/2 tsp. each: paprika, cayenne, chile powder, chipotle powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper
- Oil for frying
For the White Sauce:
- 1/2 C. sour cream (vegan, if desired)
- 1/2 C. mayonnaise (vegan, if desired)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Opt: 1/2 tsp. chipotle puree or a couple shakes of chipotle or chile powder
- Combine white sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In large bowl, mix together the beer, rice flour and spices for the beer batter. Add cauliflower florets and stir to coat cauliflower well.
- Fill a heavy bottomed skillet with about 3 inches of oil and heat to 350 degrees. Drop a few cauliflower florets at a time in the oil and deep fry, flipping once, until golden browned. This just takes a couple minutes. Remove florets and let drain on paper towels. Repeat until all your cauliflower pieces are cooked.
- To assemble: Warm tortillas, add cauliflower, a little shredded lettuce, pico de gallo and top with white sauce. Squeeze a bit of lime juice over tacos and sprinkle with sliced green onion and chopped cilantro, if desired.