Up your cornbread game with this Cheesy Bacon Cornbread Casserole. This recipe takes ordinary cornbread mix to a whole new level!
I bought a big bag of Marie Callendar’s cornbread mix from Costco and decided to get a little crazy with it. I saw several cornbread casserole recipes online and sort of followed them, with the addition of bacon and cheese! Why not? Bacon and cheese always make everything better, right? You don’t really need to top off your piece with the butter and honey but its a cornbread requirement for me. Can’t help myself!Print
Cheesy Bacon Cornbread Casserole
- 1 1/2 C. cornbread mix (I used Marie Callendars)
- 2 Tbls. sugar (opt.)
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbls. melted butter
- 1 C. sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
- 1 C. creamed corn
- 1 C. frozen corn kernals
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cut up
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 C. shredded cheddar, divided (I used white cheddar)
Garnish with chopped chives or sliced scallion greens
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In frypan, cook bacon, remove from pan and set aside. Drain all but a tablespoon or two of bacon grease from pan. Add chopped onions and sauté until tender. Add frozen corn kernels and cook another minute or two. Add half the bacon back in. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Add melted butter and sour cream, whisk to combine. Stir in creamed corn and onion/corn/bacon mixture.
- Gently fold in cornbread mix and sugar (if using) along with half the cheddar cheese.
- Pour into baking dish, bake 30 minutes. Add remaining bacon and cheese on top and bake another 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Garnish with chives.